TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mysterious wire under driver's seat
randalieren Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:53 am

Hi folks,

I've had my '84 1.9L Canada edition for a few months. It was in great shape mechanically, but nothing about the kitchen seemed to work right. This weekend I took out the fridge cabinet to get a clear view of all the wires and to check the grounds, and then reinstalled with a GoWesty LiFePO4 aux kit.

While I was under the driver's seat, I encountered the cut end of a black 10 gauge (I think) wire that is coming from the fore under the rug. Don't really want to pull up the rug and go on a fishing expedition right now, but very curious what that thing is from and whether it might explain some of my issues.

Any ideas? Is there a standard thing that people have made vestigial? Is this a stock wire for some contemplated upgrade?

Thanks!

Vanagon Nut Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm

I doubt it's an aftermarket ground wire but since the wire is black and a relatively large gauge...

With all batteries disconnected, test with VOM to see if it connects to vehicle frame?

Neil.

danfromsyr Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:54 pm

is it for the seatbelt ?
or the Ebrake light?

Vanagon Nut Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 pm

e-brake wire might be gray or gray/x ?

Is this "black" wire possible a red wire covered in black coloured protective layer? If so......

Originally, there would've been a large-ish (#12 ?) red wire from fuse box at dash to kitchen loads. Maybe someone cut that wire while installing an aux battery under driver seat?

Neil.

randalieren Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:41 pm

I looked more closely and it seems to be coaxial. Backup camera maybe?

danfromsyr Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:34 pm

ok, here's the rub
WE REALLY DO NOT KNOW.
it's located in YOUR camper, without offering us a picture worth 1ooo words it's your own puzzle to solve..

you know what they say to do with a loose thread?
pull on it.. see what unravels. report back here for the next guy.. but his wire will be blue.. so he'll want to ask his own questions.

MarkWard Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:21 pm

CB Radio antenna cable?