TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone else using a ZTE Mobily for their Wi-Fi hot spot?
1988M5 Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Please tell me someone else jumped on this gem when they were < $100

https://www.zteusa.com/mobley

I've been using it for a few years and it's great.

Did a speed test and I'm getting 80MBPS and it's never down throttled for $23 a month. I believe I got grandfathered in with no data caps, it certainly seems so.

I also do a real speed test by watching HD movies every night and broadcasting live HD video from my rig to watch my dog while at work.

BK

Igeo Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:33 pm

You use this in a Vanagon? Looks like an OBD II connector.

danfromsyr Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:34 pm

there are OBD-II to 12v adapters to use this on the go.
but the Mobley deal hasn't been offered for some years now.
it was a flash in a pan deal when it came out, didn't take them long to realize that unlimited mobile internet for cheap wasn't a profitable venture en masse.

edit, ok the early ones were free to roam, but iirc the new ones must be linked to the ECU OBD-II for part of it's authentication process

1988M5 Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Nope these gems are dumb in a good way. All they want is 12V and ground. I leave mine on for a weeks at a time pulling off the stock battery, no problems.

BK

4Gears4Tires Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 am

How would this be any different from any other hotspot? With the exception of you can plug it into your obd2 port for power?

Personally, I wouldn't want to do that. Since you really can't trust that the device isn't transmitting your cars entire information plus the hotspots location data to 3rd parties. Why does it have all the pins instead of just 3? Why does it need more than power, ground, and switched?

Steve M. Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:49 am

I just tether to my phone by USB cable. For me it's simple.