TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '82 Vanagon Trouble Starting After Replacing Fuel Lines
Hexie Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:35 am

Hey all.

I recently replaced the fuel lines using the Bus Depot Fuel Line Replacement Kit with the screw on clamps. Started up and was driving fine, until the next day I decided to go through and tighten the clamps a bit more (not forcing them, but just hand tightening till I felt resistance). After doing this, I started it and it sounded abnormal, reving high then dropping low to idle. Starting it one more time, it would rev high then not get into an idle, and eventually would not fire at all.

I went back through and loosened the clamps, and after a few tries starting had my Van able to start again.

My question is, could it be possible that I over tightened the fuel lines, or could it be something with the MAF (that's the only other thing I touched before problems started). And is it bad to over tighten then loosen the fuel line clamps? How tight should the fuel line clamps be?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the wall of questions!

Hexie Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:38 am

Note: I only changed the fuel lines in the engine bay, haven't gotten to anything leading up or going out of the firewall yet!

MarkWard Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 am

Coincidence. Tightening the hose clamps won’t affect engine running. You might check that the Air Flow Sensor is plugged in. You probably removed the air filter housing to access some of the clamps.

Also check the wires around the ignition coil. You might have knocked something loose.

kguarnotta Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am

Tightening fuel line clamps should not affect anything - unless they are not clamping onto something properly. Then you could be choking down the line.

Hexie Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 am

MarkWard wrote: Coincidence. Tightening the hose clamps won’t affect engine running. You might check that the Air Flow Sensor is plugged in. You probably removed the air filter housing to access some of the clamps.

Also check the wires around the ignition coil. You might have knocked something loose.

Awesome, thanks for the response. I'll check that out. It did start running after I loosened the clamps back, but I also had to remove and put the air flow sensor back on so that could definitely be a factor.

Is there a recommended tightness for those clamps? They definitely feel snug on the hose even though the screw is fairly easy to turn, just afraid to overtighten and pinch the metal hose/plastic nipple on the FPR, or under tighten and risk them sliding off.

Wildthings Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 am

Hexie wrote:
Is there a recommended tightness for those clamps? They definitely feel snug on the hose even though the screw is fairly easy to turn, just afraid to overtighten and pinch the metal hose/plastic nipple on the FPR, or under tighten and risk them sliding off.

They are not very apt to slide off over the swedge on the tubing and fittings. I just tighten mine lightly and then if they leak snug them up a bit more.