TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rocker Trims on Samba Sliders? Page: 1, 2  Next
Tizian Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 am

Did samba sliders have rocker trims?

The lower edge of the slider door is way lower than that of the hinged door. Meaning the trim has to move a whole lot more down.

Looks a bit odd to me. See:

Or only one on the drivers side? I couldnít find any picture in the gallery showing samba sliders with rocker trims. Does anyone know?

What was original:

Only one trim on drivers side?
Two trims at same lower height or even different heights?
None at all?

Clara Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:39 pm

have you looked at brochure pics?

Tizian Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:35 am

Clara wrote: have you looked at brochure pics?

I couldnít find any with sliders... But Iíll doublecheck...

Tizian Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:47 am

No, there is no such brochure here in the archives.

Those slider busses are quite uncommon in the US and slider deluxes even more...

Weíll find out. Someone has to know... Maybe someone from Europe chimes in?
Sliders were more common over here.

Wish you all happy holidays - whatever they might look like in those days.

Stay safe!

Olli

campingbox Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:03 am

Everett posted a bunch of images of this bus in the samba gallery. I found them searching for ďorange sliderĒ

I canít recall, but was this bus original paint? It doesnít look like it has any trim.

Lind Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 am

campingbox wrote: Everett posted a bunch of images of this bus in the samba gallery. I found them searching for ďorange sliderĒ

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/430646.jpg

I canít recall, but was this bus original paint? It doesnít look like it has any trim.
I found the same thing, and it doesn't look like it has trim on either side. However, European buses often get rocker panels replaced, so any current bus might not be a good example to use.

I can only think of one promo photo of a sliding door deluxe. I know it has been posted here somewhere, but I can't find it. It shows a bunch of people, perhaps with luggage getting out of a titian slider deluxe with a full width middle seat.

Clara Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Lind wrote: campingbox wrote: Everett posted a bunch of images of this bus in the samba gallery. I found them searching for ďorange sliderĒ

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/430646.jpg

I found the same thing, and it doesn't look like it has trim on either side. However, European buses often get rocker panels replaced, so any current bus might not be a good example to use.

I can only think of one promo photo of a sliding door deluxe. I know it has been posted here somewhere, but I can't find it. It shows a bunch of people, perhaps with luggage getting out of a titian slider deluxe with a full width middle seat.

I remember the brouchure pic Lind mentioned as well.

IIRC, the orange bus was og paint, and was warehoused a long time, before the logoes were added, before the chrome bumpers.

I searched for 'slider' in the deluxe gallery.

2004 pic:

labeled as 97 BVF:

Wade Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm

You might try searching for "sliding door" instead. I found a number of photos, although many of the busses look either restored or pretty beat. :-)

-Greg

Tizian Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Yes, I do remember that picture as well. I think it was in one of my books. But donít have access to them right now.

I really start to believe those slider sambas didnít have rocker trims at all, which would be a pitty. I just made two pretty good ones... They are so shiny and those points require a lot of filing and polishing...

Arghhh!!!

So please everyone, letís find evidence that those sambas had trims, too!

John Ghia Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 am

Please show us how you made them.

Tizian Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Found it:

No rocker trims :-(

LAGrunthaner Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Good find Tizian.
Tizian wrote: Found it:

BarryL Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:52 pm

If you click on the pic then click again it appears to have a defroster wire going to the rear glass.

j.pickens Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:50 pm

BarryL wrote: If you click on the pic then click again it appears to have a defroster wire going to the rear glass.
Don't know about this bus, but aftermarket rear window electric defrosters were a common dealer installed option.

Clara Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:02 am

Tizian wrote: Found it:

I posted the color image in this thread two weeks ago, in response to your question about armrests:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

IIRC, rear window defrost was an option in 1967, but I can't tell if that image shows one. I do see rear hatch jailbars, and spare tire in back corner.
The bricks of the building are visible through the rear window.

Tizian Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:11 am

Clara wrote: Tizian wrote: Found it:

I posted the color image in this thread two weeks ago, in response to your question about armrests:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

IIRC, rear window defrost was an option in 1967, but I can't tell if that image shows one. I do see rear hatch jailbars, and spare tire in back corner.
The bricks of the building are visible through the rear window.

Oh my goodness, Clara!

That is so embarrassing!!!
Is this a clear sign of progressing dementia? My short term memory seems to be fading already...
:oops:

Thanks for this kind reminder! :wink:

Tizian Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 am

BTW

How about the driverís side?

Trim?
No Trim?

LAGrunthaner Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:09 am

Great question.

Tizian wrote: BTW

Trim?
No Trim?

EverettB Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:52 am

Tizian wrote: BTW

Trim?
No Trim?

I was wondering that too, I have seen a pic of a '66 21-Window Window Slider where it appears to have trim on the driver's non-sliding door side only.
I don't know if that is correct though.

I found the pics again and added them here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=1966+21-window+sliding
Sorry they are not very large and many are blurry, I didn't take the pics. :)

Here are a couple pics of the outside

M-code

Pau Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Hello,

the trim of my deluxe driver's side is still there:

it is missing for the passenger's side. I remember some rust holes I assumed dues to screws holding trim.

I will try to get pictures, but it will not be until next year...