TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sheet metal for patch panels
finray Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:18 pm

When you need to source sheet metal for your patches where do you look/buy?

andybla Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:29 pm

Here we have a local hardware store with a metal deptment which have all kinds of metal

infiniteLoop Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:28 pm

In my locale there is a wholesaler that buys back metal and resells it by the pound. I think the minimum is 30 pounds. The savings is about 30 percent.

finray Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 am

I went to my local big box store and the selection wasn't great. I look for a locally owned hardware store and see what they have.

misterh Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:17 am

You can buy it online from Summit Racing.

Bulli Klinik Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:57 am

finray wrote: When you need to source sheet metal for your patches where do you look/buy?

I just googled steel suppliers in your area and came up with quite a few. If you're looking for smaller sections, you may want to contact a local fabricator to see if they have some small drops.

Hardware stores are the most expensive place to by steel. A 4x8 sheet of 20 gauge costs about $50 at my supplier. Steel suppliers charge by the pound.

Mike Fisher Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 pm

Bobnotch says you can buy 2X4 sheets of raw steel for $4 at Home Depot.

finray Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Bobnotch says you can buy 2X4 sheets of raw steel for $4 at Home Depot.

That would be great. I'm looking on their website but not finding that deal yet.

Mike Fisher Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Bob was recommending metal from Lowes actually for building fender flares for this VW Golf chassis with squareback body! :shock:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9541659#9541659

Bulli Klinik Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am

I'm somewhat doubtful about the pricing, unless it's for 26g.

You're looking for 18-20g for body panels. Cold rolled, non galvanized. Most German car bodies were built with 1mm, which is very close to 19g, but most suppliers don't carry 19g.

The bonus of finding a local steel supplier vs. box store is that they have the heavy equipment you likely do not. Shears, slip rolls, breaks, punches... I have a good assortment of tools in my shop but at times it's easier/cheaper to have some cuts, punching done at the metal shop vs. my shop. And good luck with finding anyone knowledgeable about sheet metal in Lowes!

beetlenut Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:11 am

You need to look for metal fabricators, or metal suppliers in your area. They can supply 18 gauge cold rolled steel by the 4x8 sheet.

Evil_Fiz Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:15 am

I bought the tubing for my rotisserie at "Metal Supermarket". They were very helpful and cut the pieces to size for me. Check if you have one in your area. The prices on their website were higher than what I ended up paying.

-----
Emil

evanfrucht Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:36 am

There is a huge metal store in LA called industrial metal supply. They have a remnants section and you can usually find it for cheap. Some places have scrap is what I'm saying.

And use 18 gauge sheet.

Mike Fisher Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Schnitzer Steel is mainly recycling but I have bought new/used/random steel from them. I just sold them $400 worth of old aluminum sprinkler pipe. :D
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=schnitzer+steel

jimdubs Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 am

Another option would be to check out some body shops in the area, they often have a scrap pile of discarded parts. A hood or door can provide useable flat pieces. Obviously, ask before you rummage through their stuff!

Busbodger Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:59 pm

Sometimes establishing a business relationship with a local metal supplier will lead to them offering to let you go through their cutoffs from larger jobs for very cheap or free.

Several times our local supplier will tell me just to go over to the shear and see if there is any scrap large enough for my patch panels. Take it, its free.

I do buy from them when I need rotisserie materials for example, or I want to alter my utility trailer, etc.