TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Silly clutch question
Pops67Beetle Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 am

I have a 67 beetle stock everything with a new clutch disk and a new clutch pedal (the original broke). Since I put the engine back in I get a high pitched squeal when the clutch is fully depressed. I have adjusted and readjusted the clutch and it has about 3/8 of free play. I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. Any ideas? I really appreciate the help.

67 beetle sedan
Stock trans, original cable, new pedal disk and throw out bearing.

iowegian Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:42 am

Bad throw-out bearing.

Airstream65 Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 am

X2

Cusser Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:59 am

x3

mukluk Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 am

Probably a defective throwout bearing as noted, but since you said the squeal doesn't occur until the pedal is fully depressed, before you tear back into it you might want to increase your freeplay first to see if that stops the squeal; you may just be overcompressing the pressure plate. Your 3/8" freeplay is just under the minimum spec laid out by VW.

Zundfolge1432 Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:52 am

If it is in fact the TO bearing and you are somewhat talented then it is entirely possible to take it apart clean and repack the bearing. I don’t know what a new aftermarket bearing costs now but I do have more confidence in a genuine German bearing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665572&highlight=

rcroane Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:23 am

mukluk wrote: Probably a defective throwout bearing as noted, but since you said the squeal doesn't occur until the pedal is fully depressed, before you tear back into it you might want to increase your freeplay first to see if that stops the squeal; you may just be overcompressing the pressure plate. Your 3/8" freeplay is just under the minimum spec laid out by VW.

This seems like a good suggestion since I'm assuming the squeal wasn't present before the new clutch was installed.

Pops67Beetle Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:40 pm

Thank you all for the information. I will readjust the free play and hope for the best. The squeal wasn’t there when my Dad garaged it in ‘86. I’ll post an update when it’s dry enough outside to get greasy. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

rcroane Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:20 pm

Pops67Beetle wrote: Thank you all for the information. I will readjust the free play and hope for the best. The squeal wasn’t there when my Dad garaged it in ‘86. I’ll post an update when it’s dry enough outside to get greasy. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

I would squeak too if I hadn't moved in 34 years! :wink:

ashman40 Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Did you only replace the clutch disc? Not the pressure plate and TO bearing? Typically they are replaced as a set. This is to avoid having to remove the engine just months later because one of the old parts failed.

You should also consider resurfacing the flywheel so that both sides of the clutch disc have a fresh/clean friction surface to work against. Just make sure the machine shop knows what they are doing. The stock VW flywheel needs two surfaces resurfaced to maintain the proper distance between the clutch surface and the mounting surface. Unlike some cars which mount the PP to the same flywheel surface that the clutch disc rests on, ACVW flywheels have a ledge for the PP to mount to.

Pops67Beetle Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 am

Hi All. Thanks again for the awesome information. I readjusted the freeplay and the squeal went away. I am going to pull the engine in the early spring to replace the front engine seal and will get the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces machined. I found a garage that is very old school and knows quite a bit about the old Beetles and has the skill to make things right.

Geier Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:41 pm

Hope I'm not too late. While you are in there be sure to check the condition of the throw out fork that holds the TO bearing. It does some heavy lifting in there and eventually will fail. Mine just failed on me. Pretty easy to replace. Check the bushings on the fork too!

Pops67Beetle Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:53 am

Thanks for the added info. I pulled the motor in March and replaced everything. The PP, the flywheel, fork and bushings and the cable. Now I’m just driving it while I gather the funds for new floor pans and heater channels.