TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: custom swing axle bump stops?
c-rad Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:34 pm

hey fellas, I'm building a rear engine sand rail with a swingaxle. I've removed the shock mounts from the bearing carrier housing as I'm running custom shock mounts. The question I have is, what have you done/seen as far as custom bump stops? Again, swingaxle, not IRS

dustymojave Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Theoretically, suspension stops are built into the stock torsion housing end forgings. But for offroad use, I recommend adding a piece of 1/4" steel key stock bar welded to the factory droop stops to reduce jacking and tendency to flip. That seems counter productive to guys who are relative newbies as it REDUCES the wheel travel. If the torsion housing is a fabricated aftermarket unit, then you may need to add stops. The stock shock tower has a bump stop built into it. The stock factory bump stop can be bolted to the axle bearing housing at the spring plate, the stock rubber that fits on it tends to make the axle bounce off the stop, so it's better to replace the rubber stop with a urethane bump stop.

As always, pictures or it didn't happen. And our help replies will only be generic unless we have pictures of what you have. 8)