TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who makes custom size dune buggy front windows?
OCB Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 am

I just started making my Mojave manx dune buggy bodies after taking a few years to work on another project. I have contacted bug shields but they failed to fill the order in 5 mouths. I need 50" wide windows made. Any info will be much appreciated. I'm in So Ca.
Thank you. OCB

Ggerg1186 Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:22 am

Contact a commercial glass shop in your local town. They can cut automotive glass to a cardboard pattern. That's how heavy equipment operators replace cab glass.

richardcraineum Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 pm

^^^ this guy beat me to it.
i used to work at a truck shop and we just went to a regular glass shop when wed remove a sleeper and make the truck a day cab.

OCB Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:30 pm

I need the frame and the glass. Most manx type cars have 42" wide. I need 50" wide.

Thank you, OCB

jsturtlebuggy Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Bug Shields is the only place that makes the aluminum windshield frames for fiberglass buggies.
And it not a full time business for the owner. He inherited it from his Father.
His other business keeps him busy.
Have you checked with Moore Parts, Pacific Customs, and MGM/ FRP to see if they have any in stock.

OCB Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:03 am

Thank you for the info. I contacted all of the company's you listed. No one makes A 50" wide one for my Mojave manx car.

Bug Shields more then 6 mouths ago. They said it will take one mouth to make my windows, but i'm still waiting for them.

Soon I will start making my own windows if I can't find someone to make them!

OCB

jsturtlebuggy Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Sorry that did not help you.
Dean is the only one that as the aluminum extrusion for making the frames that most use on fiberglass buggies.

The original windshield frames that Bruce Meyers for the Manx were made from flat aluminum with piece pop riveted inside to hold glass no place

OCB Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:29 pm

I met Dean about 10 years ago at his glass shop. He showed me how he made the windows on his custom made gig. He talked about having the aluminium extrusions made for the window back in the 1970's. He was a great guy.

I never seen the window that Meyers made back in the day. I don't want to make windows but I have 4 cars with no windows. Bug shields wants $465 each for the windows .

OCB