TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Early westy knobs Page: 1, 2  Next
Jack-Fatboy Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 am

Hello All,

After some covid pandemic break I can come back to my projects. I want to inform you that the early westy knobs are almost done. There is still some work to do but it is very very close to finish.

Check the pictures and let me know what you are thinking.

Thanks,
Jacek

srfndoc Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 am

You just made some early Westy owners very happy.

Jack-Fatboy Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:27 am

I'm happy with it 😎👍

I had to make few compromises but this was really difficult project. The one compromise you can see clearly is the metric thread on the screw.

Stay well,
Jacek

campingbox Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:35 pm

Nice work Jacek!

Lind Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:24 pm

Awesome.

buseric Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:15 pm

Nice. Are you going to make the bell shaped stand piece that is missing in the photos? They aren't much use without it.

Jack-Fatboy Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 am

buseric wrote: Nice. Are you going to make the bell shaped stand piece that is missing in the photos? They aren't much use without it.

Yes. I will work on it.

Jack-Fatboy Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:16 am

I would like to Ask you about the washer which is use to install the knob. It goes under the Bell piece between it and plywood.

It was made from the papier or felt?!

Please let me know. You will help me a lot. I have seen it only on the pictures.

Stay safe,
Jacek

buseric Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Jack-Fatboy wrote: I would like to Ask you about the washer which is use to install the knob. It goes under the Bell piece between it and plywood.

Please let me know. You will help me a lot. I have seen it only on the pictures.

Stay safe,
Jacek

I would have to take a knob off to look... but I recall them being steel. If nobody can confirm I can take a look.

Jack-Fatboy Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:41 pm

buseric wrote: Jack-Fatboy wrote: I would like to Ask you about the washer which is use to install the knob. It goes under the Bell piece between it and plywood.

Stay safe,
Jacek

I would have to take a knob off to look... but I recall them being steel. If nobody can confirm I can take a look.

Eric could you take the knob off and can you measure the washer?! Of course if it is steel. I would be appteciate for your help. I want to offer the whole parts with the knob.

Stay well,
Jacek

StockNazi Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Wow, those are beautiful!

The washer I have is:

diameter 14.5mm
hole diameter 6.2mm
thickness 1.3mm

The square nut is:

9.8mm on one side, 10.1mm

I do believe this is original hardware, but I have only 1 knob for reference.
Maybe someone else can confirm?

Jack-Fatboy Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 am

Thanks 8) for info. Anyway I think I will use the standard square nuts. They are a little bit smaller.

zuggbug Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 am

very nice Jacek

super excited to have a nice set for my westy

Jack-Fatboy Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 am

Thanks for good words 😎. It is nice and it makes me happy 🤗

I can't wait to finish all.

Jacek

sub-hatchtim Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 pm

Beautiful work, this is very exciting

Jack-Fatboy Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks 😎

I have checked also the brass surrface on the knobs. Please check it on the pictures. This is the sample without patina look. I would like to see knobs with patina next time 😎

I change also the size of the end cap. It is now the right high. Just like the original ones.

Now it is the time to make a bell leg 🙃 it is not easy but I have a model now.

I will keep inform about the progress.

Stay well,
Jacek

sub-hatchtim Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:50 pm

Jacek you mad man

You're killing it!!

buseric Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:29 am

That finish looks pretty good Jacek. Note the cap would have the same brass-coloured finish as well.

Jack-Fatboy Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:22 am

I know I know anyway thanks for it. That's why I change the drawings for laser. I added the ear with the hole to hang it during the brass bath.

Jack-Fatboy Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 am

Who can tell me - What is the thickness of the early westy plywood?! It is the same like on so23?!