TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rebel Wire harness install with pictures
Jeremy1984 Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:35 am

This is Jeremy, the tech guy at Rebel Wire. I just finished installing a harness in a 67 Single cab and wanted to post some pictures and tips like I’ve done for some of our other harnesses. It might take a little while to build this post since I also build harnesses and do all the tech at Rebel Wire. Just had a minute to get this started. Here’s what I just finished.

This was the stock harness I took out

Starting to remove the old wiring and added gauges

Still removing old wiring. Used the old wires to pull through the new ones.

Removing the isp west speedo

Starting to run new wires and mounting the fuse panel. I decided I wanted to move the fuse panel over to the passenger side. So I took the harness apart and moved the panel and power wires over and the rest of the switch wiring remained in the same place. This setup is now closer to one of our underseat mounted kits, which is just a remote mount fuse panel really.

Ran additional wires for the added overhead gauges

Laying out my headlight and turn signal wires, shortening them up as I go. Not making any connections yet

Made some little gauge harnesses with connectors to make it easier to install and remove if necessary

Some things I noticed right off about the isp west speedo. While it’s a nice part, to me it’s not exactly setup for a VW and the instructions are a little vague. I was redoing someone else’s work, who had tied all the black wires together as grounds, while they’re not exactly all grounds. The white wire for the oil light needs to run to your keyed hot gauge power, while the black wire runs back to the oil light, and that’s actually your ground to kick the light off and on. So I had to test all the black wires to find out which black went with which led indicator. Also the turn indicator isn’t setup for a normal VW setup. It’s a grounded led and I ended up making splits in my left and right turns and installing diodes, connecting those to the single turn indicator wire.

While we’re on the isp west parts, again, nice parts and I’m not knocking it, but this new turn signal switch was internally grounded and kept triggering the dimmer relay. So I had to take it apart and I cut a quick plastic spacer to keep my switch from touching the bottom of the housing. Also I was going by brown being ground and the brown/white going to the S terminal of the dimmer relay. These are opposite of that. The brown is only grounded when you pull the dimmer stalk and the brown/white is already grounded to the inside of the switch

Some other things I had to do with the isp west speedo, since it uses an led for the charge light and this single cab is running an alternator, I wired in a bulb to act as a resistor to make it charge. The led itself isn’t enough load.

Also swapped out to some green leds for the speedo, fuel gauge and overhead gauges.

Added in a dome light where the stock fuse panel used to be so I didn’t just have a hole there. Hand cut a piece of plastic to make a small spacer for it. Turned out ok.

mandraks Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:38 am

so the company name is pronounced "arrr"?

Jeremy1984 Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:01 am

mandraks wrote: so the company name is pronounced "arrr"?

I’m an Appalachian American, but you lost me 😂

mandraks Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:23 am

Jeremy1984 wrote: mandraks wrote: so the company name is pronounced "arrr"?

sorry, must be going blind in my old age, saw Rebel Wire Rep and for some reason saw 3 arrs....

Jeremy1984 Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am

mandraks wrote: Jeremy1984 wrote: mandraks wrote: so the company name is pronounced "arrr"?

sorry, must be going blind in my old age, saw Rebel Wire Rep and for some reason saw 3 arrs....

Ahh, no problem 😂 I'll get more posted later. Got to go back to building wiring harnesses for now. Just let me know if you ever have any questions on the Rebel Wire kits. I'm the design, assembly, tech, social media, shipping guy, haha