TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Ashtray vase
sgellis Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 am

I am missing my ashtray. I was going to buy one but we like putting flowers in the ashtray hole when traveling.

So ashtray vase. Goin to 3D print a vase to snaps in the ashtray hole that looks stock when closed. I will smooth and paint the top and door.

Problem is I don't have an ashtray to go by. Hoping someone will measure one for me. If I can get the dimensions I can scale the smaller details off photos.

I will post my progress and share models and printer settings/material once I get it the way I want.

Need these dimensions


Tizian Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:33 am

sgellis wrote: I am missing my ashtray. I was going to buy one but we like putting flowers in the ashtray hole when traveling.

So ashtray vase. Goin to 3D print a vase to snaps in the ashtray hole that looks stock when closed. I will smooth and paint the top and door.

Problem is I don't have an ashtray to go by. Hoping someone will measure one for me. If I can get the dimensions I can scale the smaller details off photos.

I will post my progress and share models and printer settings/material once I get it the way I want.

Need these dimensions



A=106,5mm
B=60,2mm
C=76,0mm
D=39,8mm
E=5,0mm

Strange dimensions for a German engineer. I would have expected even numbers here ;-)

Nice little project. The lid is not flat though...

sgellis Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:54 am

Tizian wrote:
Nice little project. The lid is not flat though...


Thanks! Great photo also. I was suspecting the lid was bulged a little.

sgellis Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:08 pm

Made changes. Doesn't look quite correct yet but I will print the parts to see how it works. Will likely take a few tries to get everything fitting and working perfect.



Tizian Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Looks nice!

C & D was meant to be the clear width of the frame.
The lid has 39.0mm X 75.8mm

Tizian Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:02 pm

I put it apart...
Dont worry its already been that way from a PO ;-)




sgellis Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:20 pm

Tizian wrote: Looks nice!

C & D was meant to be the clear width of the frame.
The lid has 39.0mm X 75.8mm

Thanks. I thought that may be the case as the frame looked a little narrow.

Looking at the bottom photos I will adjust the cover edge also so it will look better when open. I hadn't been concerned how the inside looked as it would have flowers in it when open.

Navydave73 Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:01 pm

oh man this is cool! are we starting to get to the point to where we can print our parts that are hard to find? i am firing up the printer right now and waiting for your share file.

awesome!

sgellis Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:00 pm

Navydave73 wrote: oh man this is cool! are we starting to get to the point to where we can print our parts that are hard to find? i am firing up the printer right now and waiting for your share file.

awesome!

Haha... you may want to hold off for a bit :)

I am just getting into 3D printing and am very impressed with what can be done and how strong parts can be made. It is a bit of an art though and so many filaments to experiment with.

Just got in some clear filament and plan to print my side light lenses. And some ivory to try ends for my dash grab handle and custom thickness escutcheons for the front doors. Lots of little bits for the camper also. Lots of fun.

sgellis Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:15 am

Did a fast test print of the top parts. Quality 3D prints take a lot of time so very low quality prints that are quick get used for fit.

Going to make a few small tweaks to the cover. It is a little thin, hinge hole size is a little small and I need to leave room for paint. Think it may have a little too much curve on the cover also. This will not be a perfect shape without having an actual ashtray in hand but will be good enough for now.

The finished print will be ABS. PLA starts getting soft at a relatively low temperature and this is on the dash...





sgellis Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:56 am

Bottom printed. Fits but will make it thicker. This one is 0.8mm and will try 1.2mm thick next. Also will make the dash clips longer down the bottle so it is easier to reach to release. Flange and bottle don't snap together solid enough so will make that area more aggressive.

Next I need to fit it in my buss and see how well it clears the windshield when removing.





buseric Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 am

Cool project. I guess it wont fit with a radio installed?

sgellis Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:17 am

buseric wrote: Cool project. I guess it wont fit with a radio installed?

No. But maybe I could make a bottle that could fit. I will try to find some photos of a radio from under the dash...

sgellis Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:30 am

Actually it should fit with a radio. The bottle should be level with the bottom of the dash and it appears the radio drops below. The bottle is 140mm (5.5") but can be much shorter.

If anyone has a photo of a radio from under the dash that would be helpful.

This is a 67 and it looks like and older bus will have the radio just slightly higher.

jeremyrockjock Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 am

That is very cool

sgellis Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:05 pm

Test fit... Didn't think the wiper motor was that far out. I will just change the bottle some and make another test print. I was considering making the bottle taper down anyway. May work better with a small bottom anyway.




sgellis Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 pm

Almost there. Still need to adjust the bottle some to clear the wiper motor and now the top and bottle snap together a little too well. Still need to do another print of the lid.

This translucent PLA prints odd. I need to do some test prints to get the correct settings. This one is twice as thick as last but water seeps through it. likely because I tried a little lower temperature.





BulliBill Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 pm

This is a very cool "vintage looking" project! I might be looking to add one to my '59 DD panel with no radio and a block-off plate. Will SWR color be possible? Great job!

Bill

sgellis Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm

BulliBill wrote: This is a very cool "vintage looking" project! I might be looking to add one to my '59 DD panel with no radio and a block-off plate. Will SWR color be possible? Great job!

Bill

I will paint the flange and cover. Plan is to print ABS in a fine layer height then a couple layers of primer and sand then dove blue. Will be difficult to get ABS to match any paint.

I will post the binding coat I use to stick primer to the ABS though my build primer may work. Will test some and see.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group