TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: alternator voltage regulator
mserino Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 pm

Where can I find one of these or even a part number. It was on my 1970 transporter 1600 alternator. This style is removable and I think it has gone bad. It would be an easier fix than replacing the alternator which will be a pain to remove. It looks like the regulator and brush holder are all in one.

SGKent Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:50 pm

no real way to know unless you post the model of your alternator

Wildthings Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:39 am

No expert on Type 1 alternators, but this should probably cover you, though they seem quite expensive, more than I paid for a new generator and regulator combined.

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?cid=&s...ort=item_d

Manfred58sc Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 am

I think that is a replacement unit for an externally regulated Motorola alternator (73-74 style Beetle/Ghia). Dealer upgrade kit to internal regulator. Put a WTB ad up, I'm sure there are plenty gathering dust. Those are good alternators BTW

sloans265 Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 am

If you have a locally electrical rebuild shop, sometimes they still have one on the shelf or may have a source. Doesnt hurt to try and through "non VW" source could be cheaper

raygreenwood Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am

I may be mis-remembering.....but I think those are expensive because they are no longer made.

I cannot remember if the discontinued regulator/brush assembly is the Bosch model or the Motorola model...or both. Ray

Manfred58sc Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Worth the effort when compared to the total garbage Chinese units that last 2-5K miles. Soon our ACVW's will look like the Brazilian versions with GM alternators hanging off the side.

SGKent Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:04 pm

That Motorola part lacks the brushes. Maybe there are two parts there IF, and it is a big if, it is a Motorola alternator and not a repop copy.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1879778

Mile High Puma Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 pm

That looks like the the Motorola regulator/brush assembly I had on my 71 Westy. Some scumbag stole mine off the bus while parked at the Westminster Mall where my wife worked at the time. Couldn’t find another one and ended up swapping it out for a Bosch alternator.

Manfred58sc Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:20 pm

That looks like the right part, the brushes clip into the regulator unit. The externally regulated Bosch units don't have an easy access and are square plastic, the Motorola have a "T" shaped area.

Price seems fair for a NOS "Autobahn" unit ( damn it, now I'll have to watch the Big Lebowski). The brushes still looked good.

mserino Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply's I found out it is a pn 043903803e motorola 5-762. There is a replacement # m5762 for $50 at quick start it might by Chinese . Autohaus has one for $150

SGKent Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:03 pm

and a genuine VW one here for $100.

mserino Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Replaced regulator but still not charging. Can I pull the alternator on a bus without lifting the doghouse ? I had a hard time getting it to fit while it was on an engine stand. I don't think I could get to go back if I lift it and there is no way to reach around the back to remove fan nut.

Manfred58sc Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 pm

That is why you do this