TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tachometer
liquidrush Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:11 pm

What do you recommend for a tach that will survive being bounced around in a buggy? Used to be you'd go buy a Sun Super Tach II and be done. Now there's so many and I'm sure 95% of them are cheap crap.

vwuguy Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:23 pm

sun pro tach the way to go

baja5 Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:45 pm

I have been running Speedhut gauges for a few years, great quality and customer service.

vwuguy Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:53 pm

had the sunpro for 20 years in various vws it takes a beating and keeps giving! allways rmove the tach when you sell it.. everyone has there own preference.

21golden007 Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Bought an Autometer tach last year and have been pleased

dustymojave Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 pm

In over 40 years, my Hi Jumper has NEVER had ANY gauges. No time to read gauges when driving fast in the desert. It was never intended to be a golf cart. I've never missed gauges in it.

I have a couple of big idiot lights and the oil light has come in handy once.

Dale M. Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 am

Have/had Monster Tachs on both of my buggies..... Best feature is shift light than came on about 500 rpm before the rev limiting rotor kicked in.... On Autocross racing really didn't have time to watch needle go around....

On street buggy it makes people ask "does it have a Porsche engine"...

Dale

stevebaz Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:11 pm

i used an old marine tach they are sealed and designed to run in the rough.

Mikedrevguy Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Dale M. wrote: Have/had Monster Tachs on both of my buggies..... Best feature is shift light than came on about 500 rpm before the rev limiting rotor kicked in.... On Autocross racing really didn't have time to watch needle go around....

On street buggy it makes people ask "does it have a Porsche engine"...

Dale
In not too distant future I’ll have a Porsche engine in the Bwajaja.