TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Let's talk about GPS units!
craigman Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:46 pm

What GPS units are you guys using when going on off road trips?
Seems like I've seen in pictures some are using Lawrence fish finders?
What's your thoughts?
Craig

dirtkeeper Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 pm

I decided to get a smart tablet and later and iPad. Reason was they could do so much more with mapping and other tools and werenít much more in price .I use an old Samsung galaxy tablet and now most of the time now I also have along my big iPad for better viewing of maps. The key is that you need to buy one that has the gps chip I. It. On the iPad itís an upgrade. Many of the other brands have it.

Works great everywhere I have used it along with I use a Gaia maps app. I can get all kinds of different forest and Topo maps. Not sure what the specialty navigation products advantage is , seems more limited use.

craigman Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 pm

dirtkeeper wrote: I decided to get a smart tablet and later and iPad. Reason was they could do so much more with mapping and other tools and werenít much more in price .I use an old Samsung galaxy tablet and now most of the time now I also have along my big iPad for better viewing of maps. The key is that you need to buy one that has the gps chip I. It. On the iPad itís an upgrade. Many of the other brands have it.

Works great everywhere I have used it along with I use a Gaia maps app. I can get all kinds of different forest and Topo maps. Not sure what the specialty navigation products advantage is , seems more limited use.

Would a cell phone work? Don't they have a gps chip in them?

oprn Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:19 am

Cell phones in our area only show roads so if you are off road you are pretty much on your own.

72Pstroke Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 am

I have a Magellan TRX 7 in my SXS. It comes preloaded with forest service roads and trails in the US. You can also install Baja maps on it, but you can't use US and Mexico maps at the same time. You have to rename a file to switch between the 2 maps.
I have been really happy with it.

Wulfthang Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:35 am

A friend of mine downloaded some app to his cell phone that tracks off road trails and such. It seems to work pretty well with lot's of detail but it's not really a GPS unit. It only works in cell phone range.

I have an old Garmin Nuvi that I loaded the terrain maps from my area into. It's got a big screen and has worked well for me. I mounted the carrier for it to the frame above the windshield so all I have to do is look up and it's right there.

dirtkeeper Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:11 pm

craigman wrote: dirtkeeper wrote: I decided to get a smart tablet and later and iPad. Reason was they could do so much more with mapping and other tools and werenít much more in price .I use an old Samsung galaxy tablet and now most of the time now I also have along my big iPad for better viewing of maps. The key is that you need to buy one that has the gps chip I. It. On the iPad itís an upgrade. Many of the other brands have it.

Would a cell phone work? Don't they have a gps chip in them?

Yes a cell phone should work. They should have a gps chip in them that functions regardless of cell service. Definitely need to download maps while you have service or an internet connection. Maps , if downloaded on your device, will work off only a gps signal. I am not talking about having and internet or cell connection, just using the gps that is on the device. Mine has worked well in the mountains. As long as there is 2 or 3 satellites accessible which I have been able to achieve most of the time. I canít actually recall a time where it didnít work.

baja5 Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 pm

Cell phone of tablet is fine. I use an iPad. OnXOffroad is a decent app, lots of trails. There is a subscription fee, I think it was $30 for a year. If using a tablet without service you can pre download your maps and use an external GPS antenna like the Bad Elf. I used to use Motion X, but they discontinued support.

craigman Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Wow thanks for the info fellas!
I have a iPhone 8, what off road map should I load into it?

Bad_chopper Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:33 pm

I use onx off road. You can save tracks add waypoint marks, share with friends. One thing I also like and i think this is with most gps units..you can use Google earth and build a track to fallow, and import it in whatever file it needs. There are a couple good you tube videos of how to do it. There are also some external Bluetooth GPS antennas you can use for a better signal. Just make sure you have a solid mount for your phone bouncy screens are hard to fallow.

unclebilly Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:17 am

Iphone with Avenza app.

mr_bill Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 pm

CALIFORNIA TRAIL MAPS, on my Garmin