TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need help converting my 70 beetle
Bushmaster Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:50 pm

I have a 1970 beetle that I would like to convert to the one in this picture. This will be my daily driver to work so I will have to keep exhaust Regs in mind. I am pretty handy and this project isn’t intimidating me but I’m curious if I am just being naive? Based on the attached pic, how big of a pain in the ass is this going to be?

oprn Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:29 am

Wow! I had a job like that last fall. I took out the rad support and cracked the rad on my car on the first trip in on the first day. Then the boss man gave me a 4X4 truck to run for the rest of the contract.

dirtkeeper Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:16 am

If you just want to have the car “look” like that it is a easy not to expensive project. At the same time if you want it to perform how that bug looks it can get expensive and involved and harder to do while keeping a daily driver. Meaning you’ll have the car out of commission as you do suspension and other modifications. Well of course then you will be tempted to drive it more aggressive which will cause it to be broken more often and then you will be upgrading things and then you get yourself farther down into the rabbit hole.

I consider my bug to be a daily driver in that I can get in it anytime and have a fun reliable capable car. But it took mucho dollars and lots of down time because of upgrades and repairs over the years. In my early days this car was my only vehicle and it sucked because I kept breaking things and had no money or time to repair and ultimately replaced my engine with a stock one after busting up my original “ hi perf” engine because I could not afford to fix it.

Later in my bugs life I had multiple other daily drivers and was much happier not relying on my off road bug for necessary transportation and had time to make repairs and modifications without worrying about the thing being able to get me to work on Monday morning

weasel_ugs Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:20 pm

dirtkeeper wrote:

Later in my bugs life I had multiple other daily drivers and was much happier not relying on my off road bug for necessary transportation and had time to make repairs and modifications without worrying about the thing being able to get me to work on Monday morning
This!

DHale_510 Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:07 am

I have a 1961 Baja. I bought it as one in 1975. It had been built as a ProRallye car but wasn't fast enough, so I used it mostly as a street and commute car. Then the twins turned 16 and I built them another Baja, mostly from parts I had on hand, and started stripping stuff from my '61 intending upgrades. The pile of upgrade parts grew but the car declined. Then the other 2 kids "needed" family project Baja Bugs, more parts donated. For many years.
Finally I decided that it was time to build it all again for the third time. Use those good parts. Maybe drive up to see my brother in Alaska. Do it all. I met a guy who with his father spent all their lives building real Baja race cars and would build the whole cage and suspension as a class 5 racer.
Well, it kinda got carried away, but then doesn't everything?
Now it is very close to a real desert racer with all the tricks, very like your picture car. It is very good off road, we've taken it to Death Valley, Johnson Valley, Dumont Dunes, and other places mostly far away on big deal weeks, but less than once a year. It is very tiring to drive on pavement, lots of caster to make it very speed stable but just hard to steer on pavement. It will not make it to Alaska I am afraid.
Bottom line, the cost was many times budget and dual purpose it is not. But it is very much a keeper.
Dennis

Mal evolent Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:09 am

we see details in that picture that we got clued into over time. what do you see in that picture? if you know what you see, you know what to do. yes, I will be back to critique your homework.