TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help please, wiring question
notabugguy Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:48 pm

Helping a friend sort out his 86 Vanagon, running rough, rich, etc.. found the exhaust cracke/broken, understand that COULD be the main culprit, will find out tomorrow, have a temp repair for testing, if that fixes the issue I'll take it to the shop I used to work at adn borrow the welder..

BUT, in the process of looking it over I found a connector with only one wire, took me 15 minutes to find the other one that had broken off.. Fixed it, but would like to know what it is for... Yellow one wire connector on the driver side front corner, sprouts out of the harness, has conector then goes back into the harness...

Will try to post a pic I found online that show it, if the picture works it's #3

(yay, I think it worked!!)

notabugguy Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 am

just pushing this back up, still hoping to find out what these wires go to..

4Gears4Tires Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:27 am

Sorry, I think everyone's brain immediately shuts down looking at that mess. Gross.

Are you asking what wire #3 does?

crazyvwvanman Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:07 am

That wire carries the engine rpm signal over to the ICU Idle Control Unit.
That connection needs to be unplugged during some servicing so they put that connector where it is easy to see and reach.

Mark

notabugguy wrote: Hector with only one wire, took me 15 minutes to find the other one that had broken off.. Fixed it, but would like to know what it is for... Yellow one wire connector on the driver side front corner, sprouts out of the harness, has conector then goes back into the harness...

Will try to post a pic I found online that show it, if the picture works it's #3 .........

notabugguy Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:27 pm

thank you!!! he was having idle issues, so betweeen fixing the broken wire, the cracked exhaust, and the cooked ignition coil I think we have it running pretty good again..

Just welded the cracked eshaust today, and found another crack on the passenger rear pip as well..

Wildthings Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:34 pm

The elbows in the exhaust right at the head thin out over time and become paper thin. It might well be time to just replace the pipes verse fight them over and over for the entirety of your friends ownership.

notabugguy Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:06 am

we are discussing full replacement... is the factory system on an '86.... surprised it lasted this long. It's a little bit of a $$ issue, adn then arranging time to have a lift at the shop I used to work at...

But, since the weld up, coil anc plug change and fixing the one wire it's running really well again.!!

djkeev Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:18 am

You really donít need a lift to work on the exhaust.

Dave

Wildthings Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 am

djkeev wrote: You really donít need a lift to work on the exhaust.

Dave

Agreed, I just run the rear tires up on blocks which will get the arse end up about 7" which is a plenty. There are lots of other options as well, like driving one side of the van up on a curb.

Steve M. Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:14 pm

Wildthings wrote: djkeev wrote: You really donít need a lift to work on the exhaust.

Dave

Agreed, I just run the rear tires up on blocks which will get the arse end up about 7" which is a plenty. There are lots of other options as well, like driving one side of the van up on a curb.

Invest in a set of car ramps. People say blocks and what is interpetated is "cinder blocks" which can collapse and potentially kill you because they are just not that strong.
If you're going to use blocks get something strong enough to handle the weight of a car.

Wildthings Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Steve M. wrote: Wildthings wrote: djkeev wrote: You really donít need a lift to work on the exhaust.

Dave

Invest in a set of car ramps. People say blocks and what is interpetated is "cinder blocks" which can collapse and potentially kill you because they are just not that strong.
If you're going to use blocks get something strong enough to handle the weight of a car.

Many car ramps and jack stands are a danger if used on something besides concrete or asphalt. My blocks are cut from railroad ties and other heavy pieces of lumber and are about a safe as it gets to use.

notabugguy Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:13 pm

CAN be don on blocks or jackstands, bt when I have free access to a 2 post lift in a heated shop, wirefeed welder, etc... why do it on the floor of my garage at home..?

Figure I'm going to have at least a couple of broken bolts/studs to remove from the heads due to extensive corrosion, would much rather do that standing up where I can see...