TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How Many Have Upgraded Their Sway Bars? Page: 1, 2  Next
Love My Westy Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:24 pm

I was just going through the Favorite Mods thread and found one I posted in 2007 about replacing my sway bars with heavy duty ones. It's a mod I did in 1987 after I was about blown off the road by a sudden gust of wind. I didn't redo my spings and bushings until many years later, but the addition of those sway bars, bigger tires and better shocks made such a difference in the way my van handled that I think everyone should have done that mod by now, if not replaced thier old springs and bushings.

My bars (front and rear) are ADCO, but I don't believe the rear bars are available anymore. T3 Techniques makes an excellent front bar that I would recommend.
Like I said, I think everyone should have one. I am in no way connected to T3 other than I met Chris at Syncro Solstice.

charleslabri Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:26 pm

<--

hdenter Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:32 pm

I added a White Line rear sway bar to my work van years ago. It made a huge difference! T3 has been promising a rear bar for years...☹️☹️

Hans

kamzcab86 Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:36 pm

🙋‍♀️

T3 Technique's

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:55 pm

Addco rear bars are still available.

dhaavers Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:58 pm

kamzcab86 wrote: 🙋‍♀️

T3 Technique's
Sorry Kam...no idea what this means...??? <shrug>

- Dave

11BC2 Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Addco rear bars are still available.

Thanks for that...I just ordered two!

Love My Westy Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Addco rear bars are still available.

I didn't find them with a quick search. Good to hear though.

I did find a post somewhere about them cutting ground clearance and I have to say that has not been a problem with mine and I've been to all the Syncro Solstices plus years of driving around Southern Utah. The only problem I've had is one time, while driving the Hole in the Rock Road in So Utah I managed to lift one rear wheel off the ground to the point where the tire just spun. I had to get some help pushing the van back to where all four wheels were on the ground. I have thought that a disconnecting endlink might solve that problem, but all it is in reality is a long 4 or 5 inch bolt.

Californio Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:52 pm

I put in an Addco on the front 10 years ago. Big difference in the twisties. But it did lose some of that Vanagon feel that I liked before.

bobhill8 Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Got the T3 Front sway bar headed my way as I type. He was a little back ordered but they are now back in stock.

http://www.t3technique.com/new-stuff/anti-roll-bar-(front)/

Steve M. Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 pm

The rear sway bar.

https://www.addco.net/product/volkswagen-type-ii-vanagon-bus-van-1980-93-rear/

vanagonjr Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:38 pm

Love My Westy wrote: Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Addco rear bars are still available.

Go to https://www.addco.net/

Love My Westy Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 pm

vanagonjr wrote: Love My Westy wrote: Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Addco rear bars are still available.

Go to https://www.addco.net/

Thanks. I don't need them because mine are still good. It looks like they're about $463 now for the pair. I bought mine from a JC Whitney Catalog for a total of $113.00 for both. That would be $266.42 at todays rate. 'Looks like I made a good investment as the price has gone up almost $200 more than inflation.

kamzcab86 Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:03 pm

dhaavers wrote: kamzcab86 wrote: 🙋‍♀️

T3 Technique's
Sorry Kam...no idea what this means...??? <shrug>

- Dave

Sorry, quickly answered the title question in short-hand.

Translation:
*raised hand*
T3 Technique's beefy front anti-sway bar.

:wink:

shagginwagon83 Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Woah!! I've heard of this rear sway bar a couple of times but never seen a link!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3913461

Microbusdeluxe Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:31 am

My front bar and end links just arrived from Chris. Waiting for the @#%*$ rain to stop so I can put it on. Since I have a factory Westy hightop syncro I'm really hoping it will mitigate some of the side wind sway I get now.

joetiger Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:07 am

Microbusdeluxe wrote: My front bar and end links just arrived from Chris. Waiting for the @#%*$ rain to stop so I can put it on. Since I have a factory Westy hightop syncro I'm really hoping it will mitigate some of the side wind sway I get now.

It's life-changing. Along with T3's steering rack bushings, one of the best instant gratification upgrades I've ever done.

livethevanlife Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 am

Will the Addco rear sway bars fit a syncro?

vwhammer Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:15 am

I am also running an Addco front bar with some end links I whipped up.

For the record, if you are handy, you can use a stock front bar for a rear bar.

I kept my stock front bar in anticipation of using it in the rear.

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:23 pm

Sheesh, I've seen that pic before, but wasn't aware it was just a repurposed front bar. Damn. That's so much cleaner than this funky Addco bar. Since I've lifted the van, I really need to upgrade the swaybars front and rear.

BTW: How does Addco expect you to connect the front bar to the end links? Their kit doesn't appear to provide any sort of equipment for this part of the install.