TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations
Leemundo Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 am

Hi there,
I'm in the process of trying to import my Brazilian/Danbury from the UK to Australia and need to address any asbestos in the vehicle. I've seen posts about it being located in the heat exchanger collars. Does anyone know if that would still be applicable to a '99 build? To confuse things it now has an early 70s AD engine in it (previous owner).

Apart from brakes, clutch, manifold gasket, is there anywhere else that I need to check?
Many thanks in advance.
Lee

kreemoweet Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 am

Exhaust/Heat Exchanger to Head gaskets.
Exaust to Heat Exchanger and Tailpipe to Exhaust gaskets.
Heat Riser to Rear Engine Tin gaskets.
Cladding of Air Intake Pre-Heat Pipe (aka Stovepipe).
Heat Exchanger to Body "Accordian Tubes".

The above would apply to a stock AD engine.

Manfred58sc Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Funny the Ozzy's care since most of the worlds asbestos is mined there.

Starbucket Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:44 pm

I don't think there is any asbestos in a 99 model unless someone got a sheet of it and made their own gaskets and it hasn't been used in brakes since the late 70's that's why they absorb water vapor and swell up and drag when you first start off in the morning. Garlock makes asbestos replacement gasket material and you can hold an oxy./acc. torch to it and it just glows white but doesn't burn.

Wildthings Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 am

The collars to the accordion tubes of an old beetle engine had asbestos in them. I am pretty sure there are silicone replacements if you have such.

ToolBox Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:52 am

Starbucket wrote: I don't think there is any asbestos in a 99 model unless someone got a sheet of it and made their own gaskets and it hasn't been used in brakes since the late 70's that's why they absorb water vapor and swell up and drag when you first start off in the morning. Garlock makes asbestos replacement gasket material and you can hold an oxy./acc. torch to it and it just glows white but doesn't burn.

In the US, other countries not so much.

KentABQ Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm

I think I remember reading about Ben and Leah dealing with the asbestos issue with their bus. Unfortunately after searching The Samba, I couldn't find the topic.
You may consider messaging Ben for additional info.

Leemundo Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks everyone. Something not helping is being 10,000 miles away from the vehicle. I've had family have a look at her and it looks like she doesn't have any heat exchangers (has an Eberspacher heater). Still plenty of viable gaskets though I guess (including the dodgy white one in the pic).

The exhaust is ok but not great so might think about replacing in the UK if the parts are more accessible/cheaper. I will probably get an asbestos inspection so that can double check the brakes and gaskets. The engine was installed in 2012 so you'd expect non-asbestos gaskets were used then. I think I might have come across the Ben/Leah post in the past so will find it again.

Thanks again
Lee