TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Great books for the VW purist
Lennert.vw Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm

Hello my fellow VW enthousiasts,

I am very interested in the history of the beetle, mostly from 1934 until just after the war when the British took over. I spend a lot of time around this topic, reading books, making model cars of prototypes and wartime kdf's, collecting pictures and that kind of stuff. So I was wondering which books you would recommend when it comes to the early history of the beetle.
I already own 'The Birth of the Beetle' by Chris Barber, 'People's car' by Hans Ludwigsen, 'The first beetle, ressurecting a 1938 prototype' by Christian Grundmann, 'The Beetle' by Keith Seume and other that focus more about restoration and stuff.
I am curious to see your recommendations.

Thanks
Lennert vW

Matt Wilson Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:44 pm

I really enjoyed:

Thinking Small: The Long, Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle
by Andrea Hiott

static Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 am

Have you read Small Wonder?

KTPhil Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:52 pm

You've seen this list, right?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/books/type1.php

"Small Wonder" is the closest thing to a VW-authorized history, in that it glosses over "uncomfortable" topics. Still a great read, but look elsewhere for the darker sides.

Postwar coverage is excellent in Karl Ludvigsen's "Battle for the Beetle." I've followed Karl's writing in Motor Trend and elsewhere since I was a kid, and he is always interesting without theatrics.

Lennert.vw Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks for the replies, my next book will definitely be Small Winder, heard a lot of good things about it. I was also thinking about 'Der Käfer 2' by Hans Rüdiger Etzhold and many others, I definitely find the early history interesting because of the protypes and all the thought and development that went into the car we all love today.

Joe 20 Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Didn't dealers used to give out "Small Wonder" when you bought a VW?