TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 356 engine subaru
jmoreira1 Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Good night everyone,
I'm here in Brazil and I want to set up a 356 project with a subaru engine and I would like pictures of the installation of the radiator, who can help thanks

Bulli Klinik Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:08 am

You should go ask on the 356 Registry forum. Very knowledgeable and they love those types of conversions over there.

William Crowell Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:45 am

Of course you need to join the Registry even to read posts on their forum, but don't let a little thing like that bother you, because you really need to get into the habit of paying a lot. And be sure to bear in mind that if you can't afford to attend any of their outings, just take up a collection on their forum and everybody will gladly chip in so that you can attend.

Starbucket Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:12 pm

If they find out that you want to put a Japanese motor in a vintage Porsche who knows what bad things will happen. There is no way I know of to mount the radiator without ruining the looks of the car.

Sebastian Gaeta Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:30 pm

William Crowell wrote: Of course you need to join the Registry even to read posts on their forum...

Not true at all. Anyone can go on there and read whatever they want. If you want access to certain features then you must join. There is so much info and 356 knowledge there, even if you don't like who you are getting it from it's worth it.

Many Porsche 356 owners are picky, detail oriented engineer types and if that turns people off then I understand but the knowledge base there is tremendous.

I love my VW's just as much as my 356's and while there is a ton of info on the Samba (which I also love), there are still things I just cannot find here (namely authenticity details) that could be answered about a 356 off the top of many Registry member's heads.

Advantages and disadvantages to both places, much like anything in life.

As for the original question, Starbucket is right on. Finding a place for the radiator would be very difficult, however I think that some 356 Speedster replicas are fitted with a Subaru engine. I would research that to see where they put the radiator and if that would work on an original 356.

EDIT: Here you go, it looks like the radiator was placed under the battery box on this replica.

https://www.rkmotors.com/vehicles/2205/1956-porsche-356-speedster-replica

William Crowell Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:37 pm

William Crowell wrote: "Of course you need to join the Registry even to read posts on their forum..."

Sebastian Gaeta wrote: "Not true at all."

Mr. Gaeta, with all due respect (and I certainly do respect your knowledge of 356s), in my own defense I am going to say that, if I am not mistaken, that was indeed the Registry's policy until fairly recently. I was unaware that they had returned to their former policy of allowing non-members read the posts on their site. Thank you for the correction.

Sebastian Gaeta Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:03 pm

William Crowell wrote: William Crowell wrote: "Of course you need to join the Registry even to read posts on their forum..."

Sebastian Gaeta wrote: "Not true at all."

Mr. Gaeta, with all due respect (and I certainly do respect your knowledge of 356s), in my own defense I am going to say that, if I am not mistaken, that was indeed the Registry's policy until fairly recently. I was unaware that they had returned to their former policy of allowing non-members read the posts on their site. Thank you for the correction.

No worries at all William. I know there have been a lot of hard feelings over the years from the heavy handedness on the Registry forum and many great personalities and knowledgeable people were lost to all that silliness. There is new leadership now that is taking the kinder route and being much more inclusive. I remember you well from there and was sad to see you go, I hope maybe you will return, at least just to read the forum!

finster Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:30 am

suggest you have a look around the speedster owners forum as they have several subaru conversions in the membership
https://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/cooling-subaru-engine
https://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/watercooled-radiator-placement

Jacks Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:24 am

I’m going to guess that the OP is building a replicant.