TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Camper fluorescent tube over sink Page: 1, 2  Next
mr matt Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi,

A few things about this light,
Where is a source for replacement ( did not see one listed at BD), and does anyone know of the wattage?

I am considering to change it over to LED.. but on the other hand like the soft fluorescent lighting. Would be good to compare so any known source for an LED switch-out?

Thanks!

MorkC68 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:25 pm

We replaced our Westy's flourescent tube with this 12v LED light:

Bought from here:
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-55-light...amp-10-30v

Maybe there is a US based supplier (or the one here in the UK ships) or eBay?

mr matt Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:02 pm

That is nice, but visually, want to keep the inside stock, light bulbs are an exception tho"!

But thanks again for the idea.

Wildthings Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 pm

I have an LED tube light in my '91 Vanagon Multivan that looks very much like a florescent tube.

ivwshane Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:11 am

The light is easy enough to modify to remove the fluorescent bulb and to replace it with an led strip instead and still use the switch.

mr matt Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 am

Great, thank you both!

I wonder if the fluorescent tube is still available tho. Mine is not burned out, just curious.

MorkC68 Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:45 pm

mr matt wrote: That is nice, but visually, want to keep the inside stock, light bulbs are an exception tho"!

But thanks again for the idea.

No problem buddy!

EZ Gruv Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:18 pm

This may or may not help, but I have this in my stash:

mr matt Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:10 pm

Wow, amazing you have that! is quite old.
What does it say on the tube end?
How long is it.... 12 inches?

Looked up the numbers, not expecting to find anything on the web, which I did not.

but there are 12volt tubes out there... did not research extensively...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-54880-F8T5-Fluorescen...amp;sr=8-4

EZ Gruv Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:02 pm

mr matt wrote: Wow, amazing you have that! is quite old.
What does it say on the tube end?
How long is it.... 12 inches?

Looked up the numbers, not expecting to find anything on the web, which I did not.

but there are 12volt tubes out there... did not research extensively...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-54880-F8T5-Fluorescen...amp;sr=8-4

It's 11 7/8 inches tip-to-tip
The marking on the bulb itself just say 'Phillips' and 'Made in Holland' and 'TL', then something I can't really make out.

mr matt Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Ok thanks, for fun, in my spare time, will look for one.
Maybe i will call Philips & see what they have

telford dorr Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:49 pm

It's probably a standard T5 fluorescent lamp - F8T5CW, 12 inch, 8 watt, by Philips and others.

Wildthings Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 pm

Here is the LED striplight I have in my '91 Vanagon:

mr matt Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:13 am

Telford, thanks for the further details, I've seen some like that but not running off of 12 volts. Mostly likely will be in a RV website store.

Led strip looks good! did you have to remove the ballast from your light?

Wildthings Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:57 am

mr matt wrote: Telford, thanks for the further details, I've seen some like that but not running off of 12 volts. Mostly likely will be in a RV website store.

Led strip looks good! did you have to remove the ballast from your light?

None run off of 12v, the ballast in the fluorescent fixture boost the voltage up to the several hundred volts the bulb requires. With an LED the voltage has to be dropped either in the bulb or in the fixture to the low voltage the LED diodes need.

The LED strip light I show above totally replaces the original fluorescent fixture and bulb.

Zed999 Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:59 am

mr matt wrote: Telford, thanks for the further details, I've seen some like that but not running off of 12 volts. Mostly likely will be in a RV website store.

Led strip looks good! did you have to remove the ballast from your light? Common misunderstanding. No such thing as a 12V florescent tube.

jtauxe Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 am

I have a spare fixture and bulb in my stash if you are interested.

mr matt Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm

Zed,

When doing my research, I read on the site I listed above, the following..

Question:Are these 12 volt ? Thank You
Answer: Hi yes they are 12 volt.
By Carl's RV Parts & Service SELLER on April 27, 2015
Answer: Yes....we use in our motorhome.

Question:Are these 12. Volt or 110
Answer:Hi they are 12 volt. Thank you
By Carl's RV Parts & Service SELLER

John, thanks but mine are both working. Just wondered what non-led replacement is out there if any...

But reading more questions/answers, another person states he is using them in 110 socket, so guess you are correct.. never knew that. I thought the ballast and matching bulb is specific for 12V or 110 current.

vwmaniaman Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Just in case you didn't know or remember, you can test a fluorescent tube by holding it in your hand near a CB radio antenna when you key the mic. If it lights then at least you know it still has gas in it and you can use a meter to test to be sure that the filament is not open.

NASkeet Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 am

The fluorescent tube in the Westfalia-factory-fitted fluorescent light above the sliding-door aperture, of my British specification, 1973 model-year, VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan, is rated at 8 watt. There is an identical duplicate that I retro-fitted on the opposite side.