TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Whose Big Brake Kit is this?
MarkWard Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:47 pm

Or what parts are these? The discs have had the OD cut down. There are 9 bolt holes which tells me they were 4 lug and were redrilled for 5. No usable markings on the single piston calipers. Calipers attach to spindle with no adapter or spacers. Bolts thread into caliper ears. No useable markings on the pads.

Rotors are worn out. Pads have worn crooked. I have uploaded some pictures of what I am seeing. Thanks.

Would be nice to know what discs and pads are required. Would be nice to find discs that don't need custom machining. We have some Audi 200 discs coming for comparison. Thank you.

[email protected] Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:00 pm

those look like audi/passat A4 B5 disks to me

MarkWard Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Looked at Van Cafe and was able to match up the Audi Disk and the Pads to what I have. Parts are coming. Rotor number is 8E0615301Q and the pad set is 4B0698151AF I'll update the gallery and this thread for someone else. Thank you. Mark

dkoesyncro Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Ate 57, Audi Passat A4 B5 and many others!
If the rotors are 288 it's the complete brake from those models.

I think GW and VanCafe were offering these up! I vaguely remember a thread where folks comparing/debating clamping force, these vs the Girling 60 setups.

MarkWard Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:48 pm

What I do like is the calipers bolt to the 2wd spindles without adapters, nuts, or spacers. The bolts thread into the caliper frame. Single floating piston design which is not my favorite design. Would be curious to know what calipers these are. Hopefully the disk OD won't need to be cut down.

Franklinstower Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:36 pm

Hey Mark,
Are those press in studs like the rears?

MarkWard Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:44 pm

Franklinstower wrote: Hey Mark,
Are those press in studs like the rears?

Pictured are front brakes and those are pressed in studs. Not impressed with the amount of material left around the stud holes where the hub is machined for the disc to fit over.

Our 82 has screw in studs that are loctited into the disc to swap out the pain in the ass lug bolts.

wesitarz Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Look like my VanCafe big brakes. 99-04 Audi A4, B5A4, 288 discs. G57 calipers
Pics on Rockauto. The discs are a tight fit on the hub and a bugger to get lined up again wobble-free if you ever take them off, finally figured out that you have to bang them back on.

wesitarz Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:16 pm

Regarding uneven pad wear and better brake feel I installed this stiffening kit with my G-57 big brakes. Without it I could visibly see the caliper flexing when the brakes were applied.

https://www.tyrolsport.com/braking/tyrolsport-brake-caliper-stiffening-kit-for-vw/audi/

Edit: Note for the fitment I had to grind some caliper material off (flat) to get the snap rings to fit on, but it was doable while holding the caliper still attached to the brakeline and using my 4.5 inch grinder.