TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Goodbye Vanagon! (selling price) Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
heavymetaqueen Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am

Starting a new thread so the other one doesn't get too too clogged up for anyone that might need the advice already posted. I've decided to cut my losses and sally up to sell my van. Sad day for me. Really grateful for this forum, the Bentley manual, and the van itself for I now know way more about cars than I probably would have had I purchased a perfectly running vehicle.

I'm gearing up to sell and would now like some advice on pricing. I paid $5600 for the van, when there were no coolant leaks (or at least it was microscopic) or head gasket problems.

What I've put in to the van:
Rebuilt transmission $3774
Replaced water pump/alternator belt, power steering belt, AC belt $210
Brake fluid flush $110
Rear brakes service $70
New tires/ wheel bearings about $900
Changed the spark plugs myself, and added ATP stop leak which did stop the power steering leak

Per the most recent inspection, the leaking head gasket is the only repair the van needs (right now) and they quoted me $1800. Skills said the most I could sell the van for is $1k and I don't want to sucker anyone into a dud car, but I would rather have the work done than sell it for that amount:/

The van is in pretty good cosmetic condition. There's no radio and I ripped the front carpet out because it was moldy, but there's no body rust from what I can see or dents/scratches

Abscate Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:37 am

Its almost the nice weather where we can talk you through the head reseal yourself? Have you considered that path?

Be careful getting that job done for resale though. Warranty work does not transfer so the new owner will rely on the craftmanship of the head work alone and might not want to pay for that.

djkeev Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:40 am

Pony up and fix the leak.
NO EXTRAS!

They said $1800? Make sure they know and understand that $1800 is all that you're going to pay!

Selling a non running unit is simply a basket case.
Selling a running Van, a camper? You're pushing $15,000 depending upon condition...... maybe more.
Make it pretty, install a front carpet or floor mat that fits and looks nice.
Fix the little things if there are any.

Dave

Squidfish Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:43 am

*Maybe* $6500, GLWTS. :vw:

djkeev Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:46 am

Ah..... just saw tintop.
Sadly, You'll be lucky to get what you paid for it fixed and running.

You are in that proverbial financial upside down position.

Dave

space Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:46 am

Maybe a rebuilt?
Theres 1 in classifieds $2500

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1363637

[email protected] Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:48 am

heavymetaqueen wrote: Skills said the most I could sell the van for is $1k and I don't want to sucker anyone into a dud car

i said you may get lucky to get that. at least seeing all of the issues you've posted here that's what i would offer. i may bump it to 2k....but that's me...

if you have proof of the work done you may be able to get a bit more. honestly i'd throw it up for 3800 and take the first 3k that came my way.

you have to realize most vanagon people are going to go into this the same way... "well, it needs a,b and c and that will cost me xxxx.xx"

funny thing about vanagon buyers is 95% of them don't want a project. they'd rather get into something and drive it and spend money on all the gingerbread crap they can bolt on. the other 5% are hard core and if the van has REALLY good bones they will take on a project. just an observation...

djkeev Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:55 am

You might reconsider this.

purchase price, Rebuilt transmission, fixed engine, the rest of the stuff to go wrong is small potatoes. Hoses, wheel bearings, shocks, etc.
all stuff you can do yourself.

You over invested, finish the pain and go enjoy it!

Dave

vanagonjr Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:03 am

Abscate wrote: Its almost the nice weather where we can talk you through the head reseal yourself? Have you considered that path?
No, please NO! A head gasket job is not for a newbie that was just paying for spark plug install. Really, I know you mean well, but selling a van with leak it one thing, a van with a head removed and an incomplete repair is a while ‘nother thing.

4Gears4Tires Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:05 am

I totally understand, I go through the "eff this van I am not even selling it I am dragging it into a field and putting holes through it" stage more often than I'd like.

I keep my hope alive by thinking that whatever this "next fix" is, that's gonna be the one where everything is good afterwards.

djkeev Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:08 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: If the engine still runs, put stop leak in the coolant, fill it with coolant, see what happens. Make sure you go over all the cooling hose clamps and see if you can tighten any with a screwdriver.

You've got nothing to lose at this point.

A 2nd opinion from a forum member would also be useful. But I totally understand, I go through the "eff this van I am not even selling it I am dragging it into a field and putting holes through it" stage more often than I'd like.

Go to the other thread, this isn't a seepage, this is the sink faucet turned on.

Dave

[email protected] Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:09 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: If the engine still runs, put stop leak in the coolant, fill it with coolant, see what happens. Make sure you go over all the cooling hose clamps and see if you can tighten any with a screwdriver.

You've got nothing to lose at this point.

did you see her post? she'd need 3 bags of concrete to stop the leak

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9587978#9587978

4Gears4Tires Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:11 am

You guys are faster than me! I edited my post after I saw that one.

space Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:14 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: I totally understand, I go through the "eff this van I am not even selling it I am dragging it into a field and putting holes through it" stage more often than I'd like.

I keep my hope alive by thinking that whatever this "next fix" is, that's gonna be the one where everything is good afterwards.

Eternal Optimist :D

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:18 am

Just find a good running 'take out' from someone doing an engine conversion. Then you can play with the old engine on your own time. You're truly at the damned if you do/don't bifurcation. Get out your Magic 8 Ball and see what it says. You're going to take a financial bath no matter which direction you go, but if you sell you won't get all the wonderful utility of a tintop and the sense of pride that you made it all happen--grit

Steve M. Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 pm

The power steering stop leak is not a magic formula that works right away. It takes a while for the chemical to work. It might just do some good yet!

Good luck in your journey.

mikemtnbike Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:35 pm

Yeah, provided you have access to another vehicle, I'd be trying to call Autoventures and seeing if they have a good core you could go get and then have your local shop put in. Only (relatively) slightly more expensive.

Honestly, taking one engine out and putting another in is more beginner friendly than swapping heads (my opinion) if you were going to try and do something yourself.

https://autoventuresllc.net/

Suggesting them because they're the nearest "big" engine swap operation near you that I am aware of.

EDIT: Or, just turn the page and move on. Lord knows I've had to do that in my life and turns out, things usually do work out if you keep moving forward. Who knew?

fxr Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:12 pm

After getting so far with it, I'd recommend getting a replacement known running engine and then keeping it as per your original plan, rather than selling it.

djkeev Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm

mikemtnbike wrote: Yeah, provided you have access to another vehicle, I'd be trying to call Autoventures and seeing if they have a good core you could go get and then have your local shop put in. Only (relatively) slightly more expensive.

Honestly, taking one engine out and putting another in is more beginner friendly than swapping heads (my opinion) if you were going to try and do something yourself.

https://autoventuresllc.net/

Suggesting them because they're the nearest "big" engine swap operation near you that I am aware of.

EDIT: Or, just turn the page and move on. Lord knows I've had to do that in my life and turns out, things usually do work out if you keep moving forward. Who knew?

This 90 tintop I have now was the first engine I ever did using a home made hoist.
It was hands down the easiest engine install I ever did! And that includes my 1955 Beetle! Lots of pipes, wires and hoses to hook up but even then......

You can easily remove and install an engine all by yourself.

Dave

Steve M. Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Steve M. wrote: The power steering stop leak is not a magic formula that works right away. It takes a while for the chemical to work. It might just do some good yet!

Good luck in your journey.

Just saw the gusher.. bummer. I've had enough sorrow this week, didn't need to see that!