TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beetle fender mating surfaces
Dan the workingstiff Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:56 am

I'm currently working on spring plate bushings. I would like to clean up the fender mating surfaces. I have some light rust to pitting. While the car and the fenders are in over all good shape for a 35 yr old paint job. How do I address these areas? I'm a little concerned that sand blasting could get out of control.

Matt Wilson Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 am

I see a lot of vehicles where these fender fastening panels are victims of age, accidents, and overtightening of the bolts. The captured M8 nut, should sit in a little inset rectangle landing area, keeping the nut flush with the rest of the panel. If you find any pulled out, it might help with getting fender seams aligned to spend some time gently tapping them back into place, and making sure the nuts are good and secure.

If there's little tiny rust pits, I like to scrub and clean with a wire brush and solvent. Crunch out any rust paint bubbles, until you have sound paint. scrub the area with some 220 grit. Then you can treat the contaminated metal. There are lots of products out there, but if it something you aren't stripping down totally for re-paint, you may get by for many years with something like Duplicolor Rust-Fix in a spray can. It sprays clear and turns black when the chemical reaction is complete. Once totally cured you can touch up the paint. For the fender fastening panel area that's hidden, you could get away with some rattle can etching primer and whatever touch-up paint works with the primer.

viiking Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:14 pm

Clean the area with Ospho to get rid of the surface rust and paint with Master Series Silver. I think the silver has a higher solids content and will fill the pits and stop further rust.

Search on SAMBA here for more information on Master Series.

Of course you need to mask off the area. If the rust extends past the visible area you obviously will need to spot paint those areas.

Dan the workingstiff Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 am

There are slight areas of rust. I am going to need to remove the puckered paint. Luckily, none of it extends in to the visual areas once assembled. I'm getting the fenders painted only because of the mating surfaces and one of the fenders needs a little bumping. I'm interested in painting them myself but, I told myself when I bought this car, one day projects unless absolutely necessary. I painted my lifted Bronco in 92. I had a bodyguy ask me who did the work. Loved that truck!

Dan the workingstiff Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:35 am

Matt Wilson wrote: I see a lot of vehicles where these fender fastening panels are victims of age, accidents, and overtightening of the bolts. The captured M8 nut, should sit in a little inset rectangle landing area, keeping the nut flush with the rest of the panel. If you find any pulled out, it might help with getting fender seams aligned to spend some time gently tapping them back into place, and making sure the nuts are good and secure.

The captured nuts appear in great/uniform shape. What is out of shape is the fender. I need to work the mating face true and straight. Its pulled fairly significantly. I believe largely to over tightening and a poor job on the fender beading.