TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Schwenk rear spring install.
WillRB Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:39 am

Replacing what i believe to be original rear springs on my 1984 2wd Vanagon with Schwenks. Removal and getting spring back in was fairly painless. Is there a certain position that I need to make sure the spring is in prior to buttoning shock back up? I have rotated the spring so it has some tension by hand. Doesnít seem to be centered on bottom post? Thanks in advance for the advice!

WillRB Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:43 am

Adding photos..

dobryan Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:20 am

If there is a divot on the lower pad I put the end of the spring in the divot. Do not worry about centering it any more. It will go to the center when weight is put on it.

WillRB Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 pm

dobryan wrote: If there is a divot on the lower pad I put the end of the spring in the divot. Do not worry about centering it any more. It will go to the center when weight is put on it.

Thanks. I do have a divot, but schwenk spring is much thicker so doesnít seem to fit in where old spring did.

dobryan Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:37 pm

I would not sweat it. Place the end of the spring on the divot anyway.

tjet Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:18 pm

Those Schwenk have a tighter / better coil wrap on the ends compared to my aftermarket lift springs.

dabaron Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:58 pm

every day, i walk past a box in my dining room with everything to rebuild the suspension, including a full set of Schwenk Springs. thanks for the question, i'm sure i would have be scratching my head in about a month.

WillRB Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 am

Welp they are installed now hopefully correctly. Judging by lack of major feedback i am assuming that how the springs are positioned initially isnít extremely crucial. Also hoping someone will let me know otherwise! Rears are super simple job for anyone dragging their feet. (15-20 minutes maybe?)

4Gears4Tires Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:20 am

WillRB wrote: Judging by lack of major feedback i am assuming that how the springs are positioned initially isnít extremely crucial.

You are correct. The fronts should be positioned properly though.

WillRB Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: WillRB wrote: Judging by lack of major feedback i am assuming that how the springs are positioned initially isnít extremely crucial.

Thanks! Helps put my mind at ease.

Meant to mention for those looking to tackle this job down road. For my passenger side springs it was easier to remove and install pushing/pulling towards inside (motor).

WillRB Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:04 pm

4Gears4Tires wrote: WillRB wrote: Judging by lack of major feedback i am assuming that how the springs are positioned initially isnít extremely crucial.

On to the fronts today any tips on ensuring proper position, or more specifically what proper position is?

I am installing the front Schwenks canít notice a difference to make the spring top and bottom, so just sort of assuming the text on springs ďrightĒ way up is proper?

Igeo Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 pm

I used the text position too for lack of a better way.
This is the compressor I used:

And this is installed:

WillRB Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Hereís the compressor i have kinda a pain to square up especially while attempting to not chew up new spring. Also had a bit of a sketchy moment with one of the hooks slipping when decompressing old spring.. Sort of considering disconnecting control arm further to avoid having to rely so much on compressor.

Igeo Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:37 pm

I could not make that style of compressor work for me. In the end the Autozone "rental/loaner" did work. Either way, take care please.

jocoman Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:10 am

This is what I used. Very effective and safe.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01DP2CDJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WillRB Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:04 pm

To the point where I am ready to admit i need help. Auto store compressor is too sketchy for me not to mention it is eating up my new sping. Have searched and read methods on how to replace springs without compressor, but want to know if i am on right path. Unbolted screw on bottom of what I believe is sway bar connection to control arm. Started on the 3 17mm bolts on control are that i thought i read needed to come off. Then read another post saying i only needed to remove inner most bolt?? Help please.

WillRB Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:00 am

Went to another auto part store and was able to borrow a different style compressor. MUCH safer in my opinion than original type I had. Allowed me to finish the job.

Igeo Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:38 am

Good to hear. That is the compressor that worked for me too.