TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ignition switch question
Krumby Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:00 am

Aloha ,
I feel like itís takes a little more of a turn of the key to start my westy. Do you guys think it may be the ignition switch itself or the lock cylinder that may be worn out. I have a new switch in my stock of parts.
Mahalo
David

jimf909 Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:07 am

The switch and lock core will both wear out. I don't full understand the symptom you're describing but go ahead and take it apart and try the new switch. It's one of the most comfortable jobs to do. You just sit in the driver's seat.

Here's one of the best write-ups possible...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375383

Krumby Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:31 pm

The best way to describe the problem is that I have to turn the key a little farther than normal to get her to start.
Mahalo

fxr Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Krumby wrote: The best way to describe the problem is that I have to turn the key a little farther than normal to get her to start.
Mahalo
Just swap out the switch for your spare. No spare? Buy two right away, and install one of them! You can get them for $5 each:
https://www.carparts.com/details/Volkswagen/Vanagon/Replacement/Ignition_Switch/1985/REPV506203.html
(or $12 from the usual suspects...)

Wildthings Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:13 pm

The plastic where the tang on the lock cylinder fits into the switch can crack causing a sudden failure of the switch starting with the symptom you are seeing. Find and buy a VW branded switch so you will likely not need a spare during your ownership. Yes they cost all of $12 +/-.

Jake de Villiers Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:52 am

Wildthings wrote: The plastic where the tang on the lock cylinder fits into the switch can crack causing a sudden failure of the switch starting with the symptom you are seeing. Find and buy a VW branded switch so you will likely not need a spare during your ownership. Yes they cost all of $12 +/-. Yes - these ones last much better than the cheaper Chinese ones!