TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Intro: 1985 Westy Page: 1, 2  Next
mjosoba Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:03 pm

Afternoon all,

Iíve been a member for a long while, I think 2010 or so but always just peruse the boards. My wife and I recently came across a great little Westy and Iím glad to say we brought it home today. Iíve been brushing up again, but need to buckle down in my knowledge of these, so I wonít be tackling anything much just yet, until Iíve reacquainted myself with the beast a bit.

It needs a little work here and there, but is almost completely unmolested and all the original interior stuff is there, which is a great base to start from in my opinion.

Good: Iíve found quite a few receipts. One was from 2011/20,000 miles ago for a 2.3 Go Westy which gives me some peace of mind in that area. Lots of other stuff has been done. Tires are in good shape, but only 14ís. The roof and gutters are in great shape! The topper is weathered but in very good shape for its age. Some of the hardware could be replaced, we will soon, but the shell is nice with no cracks. I will refurbish it at some point.

Not great: Needs a tank reseal but Iím not worried about accomplishing that. Has a small surging idle from 1,000-2,000rpm and will occasionally stall when cold. Once warm this is either gone, or reduced enough that I canít hear it or see it on the tach. Other than that, it has some rust in the usual places.

Our plan is to keep it and use it. Weíll repair the rust when we can, and arrest it. Once thatís been accomplished we will pull all the windows and trim and such and get new seals and do a paint job on it. But mostly this was bought to be enjoyed, not as a show car.

Looking forward to using the knowledge base here.

Thanks!

Michael and Madi.

Scubavw Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Welcome aboard.
Looks like a great starter, have fun!

Ahwahnee Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Nice acquisition and I like your attitude - 'bought to be enjoyed'.

I have never minded the 14" tires myself, have travelled the continent many times on them. Bigger tires will not make you smarter or better-looking.

Someone will implore you to change something on the engine soon, hopefully w/o resorting to all caps or exclamation marks.

Enjoy your first overnight trip in it, even if it is just a short ways from home. I still recall our initial shake-down camping trip 30+ years ago. After many vacations in tents it was a pure delight to have a Westy - hope you find it so too.

mjosoba Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes, I donít intend on changing much tire or engine wise very quickly. I want to do my due diligence on learning the systems again. As it is, itís useable and fun. Weíll take it slow for now! I think the first thing Iíll do is add an inconspicuous digital temp gauge somewhere.

bobhill8 Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:30 pm

What a perfect way to start. Welcome aboard.

Yellow Rabbit Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:54 pm

Welcome. Thatís a nice looking rig!

mjosoba Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks! That LandCruiser in the back ground is going to probably go on the back burner for a bit, it refused to die! Itís going to be getting an Isuzu 4BD2TC and NV4500 to the stock t-case. But my wife isnít that interesting in working on it. She is very enthusiastic about the Westy, which is great.

cmayna Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Welcome to the Samba. I'm sure your "TODO" is growing by the minute but be sure to add "replace all fuel and coolant lines" unless you can find proof that this has already been done and documented. Your rig looks great.

Oh and make sure the spare has enough air in it......

Oh and.......

Oh......

mjosoba Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:49 pm

@cmayna The coolant looks to have been done with new rubbers and stainless during or after the Go Westy update. Fuel lines are on the list to check into. Thank you.

djkeev Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:31 am

Welcome!

After having a rash of new owner bad experiences, I have good vibes about this one!

This is going to be a good new owner situation.

I hope I'm correct!

Dave

mjosoba Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 am

I hope so too! Although Iím sure there will be setbacks here and there. Itís as old as I am, so I donít come into expecting nothing but sunshine and roses. Iím really excited that the wife is onboard.

sanchius Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:29 am

Welcome, it's great to see you finally get a nice Westy after being on the list for so long.

And, given your plans for your Land-Cruiser, it sounds like you know what you're doing.

As a number of us here know, Westies and Land-Crushers make a great combination: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7061047r#7061047

We look forward to hearing much more about your adventures with your new Westy.

mjosoba Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:31 am

Thank you! Yes, I agree that they are two different but equally useful and fun tools.

As to me knowing what Iím doing, we shall see. Iím sure there will be plenty of cussing and sweat equity put into it! Ha ha.

Ahwahnee Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 am

mjosoba wrote: ...I think the first thing Iíll do is add an inconspicuous digital temp gauge somewhere.

Some free and unsolicited advice - the only gauge I have added is for oil pressure. Easily done either using kits from the usual suppliers (e.g. Van Cafe) or parts from other sources (e.g. 42Design).

Without a gauge you are flying almost blind wrt oil pressure - just one sensor and an idiot light on an 85.

mjosoba Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 pm

Ahwahnee wrote: mjosoba wrote: ...I think the first thing Iíll do is add an inconspicuous digital temp gauge somewhere.

Some free and unsolicited advice - the only gauge I have added is for oil pressure. Easily done either using kits from the usual suppliers (e.g. Van Cafe) or parts from other sources (e.g. 42Design).

Without a gauge you are flying almost blind wrt oil pressure - just one sensor and an idiot light on an 85.

I shouldíve added that as well. I figured I would do oil and water. Thanks! Iíll check threads, I want it to be inconspicuous. I may do an Auber guage, I think thatís the brand. I want to do that in my LC eventually for boost and EGT. Small digital gushed that go back and forth between whatever gauges you have setup.

Edit: Something similar to this. Mounted inconspicuously, but with alarms on both at set parameters.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=357

Yellow Rabbit Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Oh yeah, your surging idle could simply be your throttle position switch adjustment. Itís common and a 5 minute fix.

mjosoba Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 pm

Yellow Rabbit wrote: Oh yeah, your surging idle could simply be your throttle position switch adjustment. Itís common and a 5 minute fix.

Thank you! Iíll search that. Iíve also found a few spots that are definite air leaks, and likely air leaks. So Iíll check that as well. I appreciate everyoneís suggestions.

andy52 Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:41 am

congrats!
i really love that colour combination for a round headlight westfalia

i've been 2 years restoring mine, and this forum helped me a lot :)

mjosoba Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:31 am

Iíve been doing some digging underneath and in the engine bay.

Looks like all the under body fuel and coolant lines are new within a reasonable number of years, theyíre in great shape. New brake lines, looks like all the bushings are new as well. I think most of the perishables have been replaced!

Soon Iíll dig into the fuel tank that leaks on the drivers side when full. Maybe a grommet.

Iím also going to use the computer plug Digijet troubleshooting guide from the manual to start trying to track down the miss I have under load at 2000+ rpms.

One question: Are the fuel lines clamps just basically the same clamps used on PEX water line? Iíve got the tool for that, so that could come in handy.

the joker Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 am

Welcome back :arrow: add a volt meter next to the oil press gauge, if you throw the belt kills the volts saves the engine from overheat :idea: