TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Right rear brake shoe sounds like a goose when stopping!
Mathew Zelezen Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:18 pm

When I break after driving around town for a bit the right rear assembly makes this loud honking goose noise (Canadian variety)
:shock:
Before you ask, I did remove the offensive drum and there is no "fowl play" but the shoes do appear to be glazed..
Can I rough them up with some sandpaper?
What causes this to happen?
Right rear brake assembly:

Thanks!

MarkWard Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:26 pm

You can rough the shoe and the drum with some 80 grit sandpaper. I donít believe itís covered in the Bentley, but you need a film of grease on the backing plate pads where the drums ride. A thin film on the shoe pivot points doesnít hurt any.

Mathew Zelezen Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks Mark!

I'll give it a roughening up and grease those locations.

What causes this to happen? And to only one side no less.

hardway Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Most brake noises, squeaks groans etc. are caused by something moving rapidly, oscillating. The frequency of the sound is the frequency of the oscillation. The fit of the parts, something running untrue perhaps the friction coefficient of the lining and drum. Something frequently overlooked with drum brakes is the rubbing blocks on the backing plates. The shoes must slide freely on them. They may need to be surfaced as well as lubricated. Use a high temperature brake grease. The backing plates may be bent and the drums bell mouthed or screw threaded by a lathe. There are not many people left that are good with drum brakes.