TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: removing Thing body
jtbuck Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:53 pm

The bolts thru pan on drivers side are stripped can't reove. I got the ones out of pass side ok . Question if I just cut the pan on drivers side down side next to body shouldn't I be able to lift body ??

infiniteLoop Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Are the threads stripped or are the bolt heads rounded?

jtbuck Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:01 am

both some just spin others are rounded. havn't tried all few left, not gonna savet the panel mainly using body parts

bomberbob Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 am

Use a die cutter and cut the bolt heads off. I have several methods, usually cut the head right in the middle which weakens it. Then air chisel, hammer and chisel, or whatever you have available to whack it and knock the head off. Cutting the head twice, cutting it then turning 90 degrees and cutting again so there is an X. If you don't have a die grinder a dremel will work but its slower.

infiniteLoop Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:28 am

Cheap and effective way would be to use a grinding disc, not a thin cutoff disc ,and use the side to grind the heads completely away. Wear a mask,ear plugs and safety glasses. With the stripped threads, you might be able to twist and pull the bolts out with vice grips or by using a ratchet that you cock to an angle while also pulling down on it. Two harbor freight tools I have good luck with is their damaged nut/bolt sockets at about $20 and their micro torch at $14. When I work on a rusty fastener ,I use a little heat if it does not break free with a reasonable amount of force for it's size.

Bobnotch Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:43 am

bomberbob wrote: Use a die cutter and cut the bolt heads off. I have several methods, usually cut the head right in the middle which weakens it. Then air chisel, hammer and chisel, or whatever you have available to whack it and knock the head off. Cutting the head twice, cutting it then turning 90 degrees and cutting again so there is an X. If you don't have a die grinder a dremel will work but its slower.

Same here, but I'd probably use a Metabo metal cutting wheel on a 4 1/2 inch grinder to cut the bolt heads off, then lift the body off and repair the metal and install new nuts for when you want to bolt it back together.