TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Transmissions/Axles
jtbuck Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:19 am

OK . I have three 181's only keeping one. see pics. Can I use just the transmission on yellow one with swing arm reduction type rear with my IRS out of the camo on. Ity would then go in the 73 that is setup with IRS.
The question confuses me but not sure how to ask.

realmechanic Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:50 am

You lost me on which one you are keeping. Are you wanting to run IRS or stay with the swing axle with gear reduction? You can go both ways with some changes, as they make clamps to go to IRS in a swing situation ,Or swap the swing into an IRS chassis.

TDCTDI Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:01 am

realmechanic wrote: You lost me on which one you are keeping. Are you wanting to run IRS or stay with the swing axle with gear reduction? You can go both ways with some changes, as they make clamps to go to IRS in a swing situation ,Or swap the swing into an IRS chassis.

:lol: I got lost in that too.

jtbuck Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:30 am

realmechanic wrote: You lost me on which one you are keeping. Are you wanting to run IRS or stay with the swing axle with gear reduction? You can go both ways with some changes, as they make clamps to go to IRS in a swing situation ,Or swap the swing into an IRS chassis.

OK I have a 73 that had IRS. It has no engine or trans. I was given the 2 above yellow and Camo. I'm using the rear body section of yellow and parts off Camo.
The camo has the IRS the yellow Swing. I want to stay with IRS and wanted to use parts form the swing trans to fix the trans from the camo.

TDCTDI Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:49 am

Leave the RGB trans alone & sell it complete, it’s worth a lot more. Then use the proceeds to get a Beetle trans & swap the drive flanges from your IRS Thing trans.