TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: BAT Buses Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Braukuche Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 am

Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate.

gitchesum Sat May 08, 2021 9:40 am

Brazilian deck lid. Where are the reverse lights ?

Alan Brase Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 am

MrPolak wrote: 20-Years-Owned 1967 Volkswagen Type 2 Camper

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-bus-31/

Certainly a pretty well preserved 1967 Westy for living in Michigan. But still some pretty ghastly details. I'm sure it has some bondo in the lower edge.
Why would anybody weld in a new driver's floor and at least not prep and paint the repair panel?
That bus won't drive 10 miles with the fan belt on like that. It amazes me how nearly every dual port 1600 VW engine has an 009 dizzy and yet how bad they perform. Likewise the defroster and headlights are gonna be disappointing. License light missing.
Owner says it had new front end parts in last 5000 miles. The owner must have never read his owner's manual about lubrication. Probably doesn't even own a grease gun.
Pretty nice pile of spare parts. the Eberpaecher heater is nice but not for a bus. Good to have the original documentation.

Alan Brase Sat May 08, 2021 11:04 am

Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate.
Better have another cuppa coffee.
I read 23700. That's a correct beginning. Spot on with your comments on the site by the way.
I like your advice: wire brush it.
I'd add: Then paint it satin white. When dry rub your dirty thumb over it to hilite the digits.

bobrk Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 pm

Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate. There IS a mention of it, that it isn't there!

The drive by video was super lame.

Braukuche Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 pm

[quote="Alan Brase"] Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate.
Better have another cuppa coffee.
I read 23700. That's a correct beginning. Spot on with your comments on the site by the way.
I like your advice: wire brush it.
I'd add: Then paint it satin white. When dry rub your dirty thumb over it to hilite the digits.[/quote

Could be a 7 could be a 1,could be a 0, could be an 8, hard to say for sure.
I can see the VIN plate on the air box I don’t know why he doesn’t snap a shot of it.

MrPolak Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm

I enlarged the photo of VIN number and made out 23700210... the last digit is not in picture.

Alan Brase Sat May 08, 2021 7:08 pm

MrPolak wrote: I enlarged the photo of VIN number and made out 23700210... the last digit is not in picture.
Maybe more visible on desktop than a phone?
I'd think that engine will not last 10 miles with the belt that loose, And wow that seems like a big fan pulley? Or is it just perspective? The claims it purrs at 50mph. So did a 40hp.
Problem with turn key bus owners is a precious shortage of qualified air cooled techs.

Braukuche Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 am

bobrk wrote: Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate. There IS a mention of it, that it isn't there!

From the BAT description:

“ The serial number on the M-code tag matches the final numbers shown on the title, which lists the complete VIN as C237002101; the C23 prefix is not shown on the bus. A VIN tag is not present in the engine compartment, and the number stamped into the floor near the engine is partially obscured by paint but does not seem to align with the M-code tag; the stamped floor section is pictured in the gallery. The M-code tag shown above indicates the following equipment”

In the interior pictures you can see the tag on the air box.

bobrk Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 am

Braukuche wrote: bobrk wrote: Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate. There IS a mention of it, that it isn't there!

“ The serial number on the M-code tag matches the final numbers shown on the title, which lists the complete VIN as C237002101; the C23 prefix is not shown on the bus. A VIN tag is not present in the engine compartment, and the number stamped into the floor near the engine is partially obscured by paint but does not seem to align with the M-code tag; the stamped floor section is pictured in the gallery. The M-code tag shown above indicates the following equipment”

You’re right. My brain has been translating “air box” into “engine compartmentment” where of course the plate lives on my single cab.

Alan Brase Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Braukuche wrote: bobrk wrote: Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate. There IS a mention of it, that it isn't there!

Seems a comedy of errors here (did I mention a lack of qualified personnel? Up one post, perhaps?)
I think the bus is 100% okay but with the seller being half right and the BAT listing agent being half right they are gonna have bidders believing there is a good chance this started out as an East German Trabant with the famous Trabbie Westy conversion.
I really do not know how much easier Everett could make it for a newcomer to the site find the right VIN.
And WHERE did the damned "C" in the VIN come from?

bobrk Sun May 09, 2021 12:23 pm

Alan Brase wrote: Braukuche wrote: bobrk wrote: Braukuche wrote: Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate. There IS a mention of it, that it isn't there!

Seems a comedy of errors here (did I mention a lack of qualified personnel? Up one post, perhaps?)
I think the bus is 100% okay but with the seller being half right and the BAT listing agent being half right they are gonna have bidders believing there is a good chance this started out as an East German Trabant with the famous Trabbie Westy conversion.
I really do not know how much easier Everett could make it for a newcomer to the site find the right VIN.
And WHERE did the damned "C" in the VIN come from?

😂

widehatch Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 pm

as to the VIN in the engine compartment. i'm seeing *237082 9

MrPolak Mon May 10, 2021 5:51 pm

widehatch wrote: as to the VIN in the engine compartment. i'm seeing *237082 9

You have to embiggen it.

FarmerBill Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm

MrPolak wrote:

You have to embiggen it.

Looks like it's probably a perfectly cromulent serial number. :D

MrPolak Tue May 11, 2021 6:18 am

FarmerBill wrote: MrPolak wrote:

You have to embiggen it.

Looks like it's probably a perfectly cromulent serial number. :D

DOH!

Okie Adam Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 am

Alan Brase wrote: And WHERE did the damned "C" in the VIN come from?

I thought this was odd too. The only thing I can guess is MAYBE the title has the C in front of the VIN and MAYBE, and I am speculating hard here, when it was first registered the C was added MAYBE because according to the M-code tag this is a C42 version of the so42? This is the only correlation I can come up with to attempt to explain the C. Still, it doesn't justify it. It only confuses the matter since that not how VINs work but that's where my mind went.

teahead Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 pm

teahead wrote: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bus-9/

$73k sold.

NOt bad. >$76k w/all the fees. Plus sales tax (10% where I am in Seattle)!

Good looking driver that just needs the front seat and all new interior.

This one back on the market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284281806369?hash=item4230841e21:g:kiYAAOSwsthggm0N

Not asking a whole lot more so maybe not an intentional flip, but more like buyer's remorse? High bidder bailed?

MrPolak Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 pm

teahead wrote: teahead wrote: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bus-9/

$73k sold.

NOt bad. >$76k w/all the fees. Plus sales tax (10% where I am in Seattle)!

Good looking driver that just needs the front seat and all new interior.

This one back on the market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284281806369?hash=item4230841e21:g:kiYAAOSwsthggm0N

Not asking a whole lot more so maybe not an intentional flip, but more like buyer's remorse? High bidder bailed?

Interesting. Same seller location on BAT and eBay and same pics. BAT high bidder commented about "bringing it back to Eugene". Maybe they didn't. ;-)

MrPolak Fri May 14, 2021 5:01 pm

MrPolak wrote: 20-Years-Owned 1967 Volkswagen Type 2 Camper

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-bus-31/

Sold For $34,750 On 5/14/21