TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Propex Heater and Propane Gas Detector
Maine Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:27 am

I installed a Propex heater last fall and I am considering adding a propane gas detector. For those of you with a Propex heater do you have a hard wired propane gas detector?

Timwhy Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 am

Surface mount under the rear bench close to the slider door.

Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industries-40-442-P-WT-...9811189437

Vanuber Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 pm

I felt it was mandatory after my Propex install. I bought the MTI Industries 35-742 that detects Co and LP - https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industries-35-742-BR-Alert-Alarm/dp/B005GSFTSE . I mounted it along with other controls on a panel behind the driver's seat. Know they have to be replaced every 5 years or so.

GoEverywhere Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:42 pm

I've got factory(Well ASI anyway...) propane heat as well as an Eberspacher gas heater. I installed a CO detector first thing when I got all the propane equipment working. Its a 40 year old rig, its better to be safe than dead. I grabbed an inexpensive Kidde one from Amazon.

kourt Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:35 pm

I have a Propex HS2200, which does all its combustion outside of the van, so the risk is low, but I installed one of the MTI industries detectors below the refrigerator at the same time, just in case.

It will go off if I'm refueling the van with the slider door open--detection of hydrocarbons.

It will go off if I'm using the galley stove with no ventilation--detection of carbon monoxide.

Nice peace of mind.

kourt

erste Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:27 pm

Vanuber wrote: I bought the MTI Industries 35-742 that detects Co and LP
Thanks for posting this part number, I really like the way you flush mounted it on your electrical panel behind the seat.

I have a similar MTI monitor, but not flush mount, and have been looking for a place to relocate it.

Timwhy wrote: Surface mount under the rear bench close to the slider door.
This seems so completely obvious now. Thank you.