TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done?
vexter0944 Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 pm

I'm the process of building a street legal style rail buggy. a 4 seater with a donor VW title/vin. I emailed the OTC a couple of days ago asking about what requirements were needed to be street legal I told them this too: (I It may be titled a VW Beetle or similar since they used a donor one to build the whole dune buggy.) and got the following response:

"Good afternoon,

The State of Oklahoma does not title or register dune buggies and they are not considered street legal here and cannot be made street legal.

Tiffany"

So am I just out of luck or does anyone else here from the OK state have an input/tips/tricks? Any help would be much appreciated!

cbeck Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm

Might have better luck back in mo with the location in your sig.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604078&highlight=

vexter0944 Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:05 pm

cbeck wrote: Might have better luck back in mo with the location in your sig.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604078&highlight=

Have moved out of state, although I do have family back there who might register it for me and allow me to borrow it a lot...it's a thought. My guess is OK won't let me drive it here even if it did have a MO plate/registration.

I wonder if I might do better showing it as a kit car or something like that??

Axitech Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:08 pm

My understanding is , if its legally registered in one state, you can drive it in all, drive through, drive into and go touring, but be careful about getting caught ‘living’ there.
It’s a lot like marriage licenses, if its good back home, its good everywhere. Why that doesn’t carry through to guns and carry licenses, I do not know.

Dale M. Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 pm

Might look here........ And don't call it a "dune buggy", call it a "kit car" or "custom fabrication" or "special constuction"....

https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_OK.pdf

Above is a sub section of...

https://www.semasan.com/resources/titling-registration

Trying to reuse a VW registration on a no longer identifiable vehicle as a VW is major problem in many states.... Many state require something registered as a VW to visibly look like a VW....

And you have to know more about registration process the drone behind the counter you are dealing with....And don't volunteer to much information it only confuses them...

Dale

L5wolvesf Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:42 pm

Axitech wrote: My understanding is , if its legally registered in one state, you can drive it in all, drive through, drive into and go touring, but be careful about getting caught ‘living’ there.

Yes and . . . no
Yes states honor (do not ticket) other states current registrations (tags) - via reciprocal agreements.
and
No, if the vehicle is not 'equipped' properly / legally for the state a person is driving in they may still be pulled over and possibly ticketed.

Wulfthang Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm

Call it a "Special Fuel Use Reduction Test Vehicle" to help combat Climate Change!

Pez Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 am

If they don't have vehicle inspection in OK then find a rural DMV, keep your trap shut and only reference it as an old Vdubya. Too much info will scare them off. And Pray ya get a older lady, comment on her pictures or make small talk. These poor people deal with some straight assholes everyday, a kind person is a rarity and they are more likely to help one.

stevebaz Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:35 am

here in California there are DMV handlers that can walk your vehicle through the hoops if there is a possibility. they know what forms and paperwork to deal with it. it costs a pretty penny but sometimes the only way to get it done. check with you local hot rod guys and car swap meets. Good luck and don't call it a sand rail.

Wulfthang Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm

stevebaz wrote: here in California there are DMV handlers that can walk your vehicle through the hoops if there is a possibility. they know what forms and paperwork to deal with it. it costs a pretty penny but sometimes the only way to get it done. check with you local hot rod guys and car swap meets. Good luck and don't call it a sand rail.

That's crazy and to think, it's right next door to Arizona. Why can't States be more similar? Here in Arizona .........using a home assembled aka built sand rail as example........you have to take it to DMV for a Level Three Inspection. That's where they make sure it has lights, wipers, horn, etc. etc. They never checked any of that stuff though. All they did was walk around and look at it. Then they asked me where I wanted the VIN sticker.

Then it's off to an Emission test run by the State. Mine had no computer so basically, if it runs without smoking the place up it passes. Then it was back to DMV to get my plate. That's it! It was street legal.