TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm)
uk 6t6 Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:54 am

hey there folks, random question to the knowledgeable out there...

anyone know how a 100mm fuel cap is put together? is it a press fit or are there any crimps / rivets / spotwelds that arent obvious on first inspection?

anyone ever taken one apart and managed to put it back together without butchering it?

pic for ref

reason i'm asking is i've had one chrome plated and it seems to have trapped some rather nasty fluids between the different layers of metal that is now seeping out / eating its way through the metal...

so was thinking of trying to split open one, chrome the outer shell and then reassemble...

anyone managed to split one???

nshaddox Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 am

I tried making a less junky 80mm cap from one that was pretty beat up by separating the halves. I used a tiny screw driver to pry the outer layer out enough so it would come apart. As far as I can tell, it looks like assembly was sort of a mix between a swaging operation from the inside and a bottle capping operation from the outside. Unfortunately the cap I experimented with I never got to crimp back on tight enough so the layers kind of spin. I’d recommend not trying to disassemble. I thought about trying to make some 3D printed tooling to re crimp the halves but way to busy right now.

Dan22 Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:07 pm

There is a recent thread which has very good detail about what is inside the 100mm fuel cap. A quick search should find it.

Dan22 Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Here it is!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344886

uk 6t6 Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 am

Ah great thanks must have missed that, blimey there's a lot inside there no wonder there's space for the liquid to get trapped...