TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed
3day Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 pm

so Iím in talks of purchasing a 1956 oval for 13k. Fairly rust free, runner/driver, cal look car on Fuchs. Through looking at the chassis number and body tag plate, the body is a 56 but has a 64 pan. Usually not an issue, but the body tag was at some point removed because the rivets were replaced. The 64 chassis number is stamped into body tag where the manufactured year code goes. There is a 56 chassis number on the tag, but no way to tell if it was from the car originally. Iím not concerned with the numbers not matching, just with the fact that the plate was removed. Is 13k overpaying?

67rustavenger Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Depending where the ORDMV looks. The car may be registered as a 64, or a 56.
A restamped tag is a red flag to me. And I really want an oval sometime in my life.

13k For a dicey vin = Pass for me.

You have to decide on your own.

EverettB Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:42 pm

I agree - I don't like that the VIN tag was modified.

I'd probably pass on it for that reason alone unless there is some overriding reason.

This seems like a possible recipe for trouble either getting it registered or if you decide to sell it years in the future.

Volksvr6gti Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Just a little insight. I bought a 56 sedan a little over a year ago. Mine was numbers matching. Nearly 100% rust free, original pans with no rust. Heater channels original with no rust. Redone interior, came with a 1776 and freeway flyer that only had 1,200 miles on them along with the stock 36 hp motor and tranny (both supposed to work just fine). Came with 3-4 bins of new parts. Came with a set of original Porsche Fuchs with new tires and a second set of Porsche rims (which I sold already) came with 6 bumpers, 2 engine covers, body work 90% done with no major body work or caked on bondo. I paid 10k. In my opinion yours seems a little over priced, but put some pictures up...maybe it will change someoneís mind.

VW_Jimbo Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm

3day wrote: so Iím in talks of purchasing a 1956 oval for 13k. Fairly rust free, runner/driver, cal look car on Fuchs. Through looking at the chassis number and body tag plate, the body is a 56 but has a 64 pan. Usually not an issue, but the body tag was at some point removed because the rivets were replaced. The 64 chassis number is stamped into body tag where the manufactured year code goes. There is a 56 chassis number on the tag, but no way to tell if it was from the car originally. Iím not concerned with the numbers not matching, just with the fact that the plate was removed. Is 13k overpaying?

Yes!

leowagen Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Pan is the one who states the VIN, not the body. If body was swapped, it should have riveted the VIN Plate belonging to the pan....

3day Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 pm

The price is 12,500. I have other pics and videos and seems to be a nice, well put together car. For some reason, every other pic I try to upload says itís a corrupt file. From what Iíve determined, the original tag was removed so they could add the 64 vin to the tag, they put it in the blank box for the manufactured date. The original pan vin is still on the tag. The original number and the body number are a month off, thatís why I think itís the original tag.

3day Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 pm

3day Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 pm

Mark Evans Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:26 am

It's difficult to get to the DMV these days, but maybe have it inspected before you make the purchase? If the vin looks to be altered, there could be problems to register. Looks pretty good overall, some repairs have been done with the rear apron...

3day Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 am

Mark Evans wrote: It's difficult to get to the DMV these days, but maybe have it inspected before you make the purchase? If the vin looks to be altered, there could be problems to register. Looks pretty good overall, some repairs have been done with the rear apron...
Yeah I saw the rear apron was replaced.

3day Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:27 am