TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: HELP! Need to mount a warning light into 1956 US Oval
Ralfhermanns Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 am

Hallo everybody!
I am from Germany, just obtained a 1956 Oval Convertible in US version with blinkers instead of semaphores and for registration I need to mount a warning light.

As I can only guess, the bug seems to be assembled quite original but I cannot find the right wiring diagram that matches my car.

In general, I mount a blinking relais that produces a blinking signal and is driven by constant + in order to work even when the ignition is set to off.

My car has been frame off restored and everything is working and looks made professionally, so no hobbyist made electrics.

As I have the US version, I should have the 2 channel blinker version, meaning that the front blinkers are separated from the rear blinkers. Rear blinkers are connected with brake light an I have 2 filament bulbs to work for light and brake/blinker.

Thus the blinker switch should have 6 cables to separate the front and rear blinkers. However, my car has the correct blinker switch but only 3 cables are used. This means, that the switch has been used like a normal blinker switch and I guessed that front and rear blinkers were set parallel.

So I installed the warning blinker and the front blinkers were blinking, the rear blinkers were not. I took the wiring apart and connected the front blinkers to the warning blinker relais: Working.

Then I connected the rear blinker cables to it and they were not working.
I am confused. Has anybody else had these problems or has anybody installed a warning blinker relais to his Oval?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Ralf

finster Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:38 pm

I have no experience in fitting hazard flashers but it seems to me that the problem lies in the fact your car is not correctly wired (as per factory). are you saying that the indicator switch is the correct 6 cable one but only 3 terminals are used? or is it a euro indicator switch with 3 cable terminals?
this '56 wiring diagram has both usa and euro systems shown so your car should follow the wiring to G1.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_56.jpg
I assume you are fitting something like the bosch unit so that diagram 3 should be the one for your car if it were correctly fitted with a 6 terminal indicator switch...

Ralfhermanns Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am

Many thanks!
I found out, that it is a US version with blinkers instead of semaphores. The blinker switch is a 6 pole but only 3 poles were used. The blinking signal and brake light signal were sent to the rear where a set of relais is.
The man who restored the car told me, that he bought a conversion kit for american cars and the relais system switches brake and blinking light.

I tested and found out, that this relais system blocks the warning light system. That means, that if I send a blinking signal through the wire to the brake lights, the brake lights do not blink. If you use the normal brake light switch and send a brake signal, it works.

Thus I think about taking out the relais system and use the original blinker switch as it should have been mounted. I only do not know, how to test the switch, because there are no numbers on the wires.

Another thing is, that the rear lights and the number plate lights fail to work after my testing. I have no idea where to find the fuses for the lights and thus I cannot test, why there is no currency goint to the rear lights.

Ralfhermanns Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 am

This is the mechanic of my blinker switch. Can anybody tell me, which connection point is for which cable? I would like to test, if the switch is working correct at all. Thanks!

VW_Jimbo Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:33 pm

I am just guessing, but.....

Black with white and green tracers, is for the input from the flasher unit.

Black with red tracer, is for out to right signal light. Or left depending which way the switch mounts.

Black with yellow tracer, is for out to left signal light. Or right depending which way the switch mounts.

Black with purple tracer, ground or output to indicator light.

finster Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:47 pm

wiring should be as G1 in the diagram

fuse box should be near the back of the speedometer...

Rome Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm

Quote: for registration I need to mount a warning light
Do you mean a "Warnblinkanlage"- emergency 4-way flasher system, which can be activated without the ignition being turned on? Edit: Ach so, you mentioned that in the middle of your first post.

Where in Germany are you located? I lived in Wolfsburg for 3 years in the early 1980's, and traveled around West Germany quite a bit during that time.

Ralfhermanns Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:08 am

Many many thanks! I live close to Cologne/Germany.
I already ordered a new switch at werk34.de but they refused to give me any information about the wiring of that switch. Very poor service!

Now I will try to test out, how it works. And yes, I try to mount a "Warnblinkanlage" which should operate with ignition switched to off.

Concerning the fuse box: Of course there is one fuse box behind the speedo with 4 fuses. I took them all out but the headlights were still working! So there might be another fusebox which is hidden or no fuse for the headlights at all!

A second fusebox with 2 fuses schould have been close to the tank but they just mounted a connector there. I will install this second fuse box but there is still the question, why the rear lights are not working any more.

I made a test wire with a nail as a connection tip, starting directly from the battery and connected it with the wire for the rear lights and license plate light. After 2 seconds this nail was glowing!

finster Sat May 01, 2021 1:30 am

Ralfhermanns wrote:
My car has been frame off restored and everything is working and looks made professionally, so no hobbyist made electrics.
Ralf

the evidence doesn't seem to support this statement... :roll: