TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Shop apron. Have you thought of using one? Page: 1, 2  Next
67rustavenger Wed May 05, 2021 6:25 pm

So we are having a rather warm day here in the PNW today. :D
It kinda got me thinking.

Does anyone here use a shop apron while working on the garage on a dirty/greezy job?

This makes sense to me. I wear Carhartt clothes for hard dirty work. But they are expensive to replace when worn out. I use them mostly for mud/mucky work. They are comfortable and durable.

I have a habit of wiping my grungy hands on my shirt and pants. When a shop rag is out of reach.

Anyone use a shop apron?

Glenn Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 pm

I use one all the time while doing distributors. I'm standing the entire time, but if i was up and down I would not.

I also wear one when working on my bicycles, it keeps my cloths clean.

Mine is a denim with one chest pocket that I got from McMaster.

67rustavenger Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Glenn wrote: I use one all the time while doing distributors. I'm standing the entire time, but if i was up and down I would not.

I also wear one when working on my bicycles, it keeps my cloths clean.

Mine is a denim with one chest pocket that I got from McMaster.
Well at least I'm weird in my thinking.

I wear one when baking and cooking family meals.

Until tonight. I never thought of wearing one in the shop.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

vwracerdave Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 pm

I worked in a grocery store in the 70's-80's and wore an apron every day, so it's normal for me to wear one.

For a small job I'll put on the apron. For a long job with dirt & grease, I'll put on a pair of coveralls..

67rustavenger Wed May 05, 2021 7:44 pm

vwracerdave wrote: I worked in a grocery store in the 70's-80's and wore an apron every day, so it's normal for me to wear one.

For a small job I'll put on the apron. For a long job with dirt & grease, I'll put on a pair of coveralls..
Yup!
Coveralls are the thing when things get really nasty.

My last ones were soaked in grunge. I had to dispose of them.
Hm. I sense a new overall in my near future. And a shop apron. :D

mukluk Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 pm

Never cared for aprons myself, it's coveralls for me if the job will be dirty.

Pez Wed May 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Oh yeah generally that's allll I wear.

raygreenwood Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 am

vwracerdave wrote: I worked in a grocery store in the 70's-80's and wore an apron every day, so it's normal for me to wear one.

For a small job I'll put on the apron. For a long job with dirt & grease, I'll put on a pair of coveralls..

Which store? As an OK person.....I think we all worked at a Grocery store in 70s and 80s?


For winter work i have a fully insulated Walls brand coverall. K-mart was selling them cor years. They were about $60. They will make you sweat even at 0 degrees.....but kind of bulky.

For summer.....i have a short and long sleeve version of the same brand uninsulated.

https://www.amazon.com/Walls-Non-Insulated-Mechani...&psc=1

These are good.

I wear aprons at the work bench for small, not so dirty assembly. Must have pockets to put measuring tools and small instruments in like a third hand. I like soft cotton, short and cheap. I have ordered a few of these and they seem to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Luchuan-Cotton-Adjustable-Aprons-Pockets/dp/B075ZSLJCQ
Ray

Chickensoup Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm

i dont even wear a shirt for dirty jobs. its easier to wash your body than it is to wash stains out from your cloths. way more easy.
even in the winter time. after absolutely annihilating 90% of my shirts i said no more.
i do wear pants tho.

Bulli Klinik Fri May 07, 2021 7:58 am

Smock. Instant respect.

mark tucker Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am

I wore one almost every day runing the machine shop,I have them hear somewhere...I should use them when using the lathe but I dont like loose thingys that may get cought in somethen...I do try to use them when porting.thats probably where there hanging. I dont use them cooking, but my wife should use them while shes eating :shock: :wink:

67rustavenger Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am

mark tucker wrote: I wore one almost every day runing the machine shop,I have them hear somewhere...I should use them when using the lathe but I dont like loose thingys that may get cought in somethen...I do try to use them when porting.thats probably where there hanging. I dont use them cooking, but my wife should use them while shes eating :shock: :wink:
Had a good laugh at this post Mark! Thank you for making my day.

anthracitedub Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 am

I wear a lab coat, makes me feel really smart and precise with my work.

ToolBox Fri May 07, 2021 9:33 am

67rustavenger wrote: So we are having a rather warm day here in the PNW today. :D
It kinda got me thinking.

Does anyone here use a shop apron while working on the garage on a dirty/greezy job?

This makes sense to me. I wear Carhartt clothes for hard dirty work. But they are expensive to replace when worn out. I use them mostly for mud/mucky work. They are comfortable and durable.

I have a habit of wiping my grungy hands on my shirt and pants. When a shop rag is out of reach.

Anyone use a shop apron?

How about a Carhartt apron?

https://www.carhartt.com/category/carhartt-men-accessories-aprons

67rustavenger Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am

ToolBox wrote: 67rustavenger wrote: So we are having a rather warm day here in the PNW today. :D
It kinda got me thinking.

Does anyone here use a shop apron while working on the garage on a dirty/greezy job?

This makes sense to me. I wear Carhartt clothes for hard dirty work. But they are expensive to replace when worn out. I use them mostly for mud/mucky work. They are comfortable and durable.

I have a habit of wiping my grungy hands on my shirt and pants. When a shop rag is out of reach.

Anyone use a shop apron?

How about a Carhart apron?

https://www.carhartt.com/category/carhartt-men-accessories-aprons
Now, I do like that idea.
https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-collections-warm-weather-accessories/Apron-103439
$39.99 isn't a bad price as well.

Manfred58sc Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Every now and then I do, but I make sure not to use the pockets as a tool caddy ( One slip and you stab yourself multiple times ). I like them when I'm using sprays or paints.

mark tucker Fri May 07, 2021 6:21 pm

anthracitedub wrote: I wear a lab coat, makes me feel really smart and precise with my work. good for a false seance of security :shock: :P

VW_Jimbo Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 pm

Shorts and a t-shirt in the summer months.

Shorts and a t-shirt in the winter months.

A sweatshirt if it gets below 60. But with shorts! Duh!

finster Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 am

Chickensoup wrote: i dont even wear a shirt for dirty jobs. its easier to wash your body than it is to wash stains out from your cloths. way more easy.
even in the winter time. after absolutely annihilating 90% of my shirts i said no more.
i do wear pants tho.

have you got that toxic paint off yet?

crukab Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am

Since I've worn a apron at work for 45 years, no not in the Garage, I wear "Grub cloths", stuff that is too grungy to wear in public, ripped jeans & stained t-shirts & sweet shirts.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group