TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: new dual port cylinder tins Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
[email protected] Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:34 am

They look great!!! Did you do any testing on cooling comparing these tins to the aftermarket ones or the original German ones?

b-man Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 am

Email sent to preorder. 8)

johnnyvw164 Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 am

I think this is fantastic, and will definitely order a set when the time come. Face it, at some point in time, OEM stuff will be hard to find in good condition.

Remember: "The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

texastomeh Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15 pm

Guys,

I am interested in a set of these to use on my 1776 build instead of the set of sorta' beat-up SCATs used by the PO.

My build is using "new" MOFOCO 042 Cylinder Heads and EMPI Dual 40 HPMX Carbs with OFFSET MANIFOLDS.

Can you give me a "general feel" as to the fitting/grinding/trimming that will be required to make these work?

I realize that I will need the parts in hand to do the final tweaking, but would appreciate a "feel" for what is involved.

Cutting/grinding/fitting ain't really a problem since I had to do quite a bit to get the EMPI Fan Shroud to fit the AUTOLINEA BT case! :roll:

Thanx in advance for any help/comments/recommendations!!

STAY WELL!! 8) 8)

Tom

volkaholic1 Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:36 pm

well i do offer those services, theres are so many different manifolds out there, over several decades, i always have them send me 1 for mock up, only way to be sure,, these have the same fit as stock, so whatever yo ugot to to to VW tins, you would need to do to these

i do the empi bubble top case trimming all the time also

do it yourself, or i can, whatever makes sense

Lingwendil Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm

Any idea on projected price?

volkaholic1 Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm

you mean what did it cost me? actually not 100% sure yet, well hopefully less than what i am selling them for!

Lingwendil Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:06 pm

I mean retail for us lowly consumers :)

volkaholic1 Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:09 pm

well i am offering a 20% discount, so that means, once i have them in my hands the price will go up to

silver primer dual port tin set $150
silver primer dual port tin set + threaded inserts $154
satin black powdercoated dual port tin set $185
satin black powdercoated dual port tin set + threaded inserts $189

johnnyvw164 Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:45 pm

link to classifieds listing:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2477466

texastomeh Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Guys,

Talk about "Just-In-Time- Inventory"!

I just received a set of Flaps and Thermostat from Clark (aka volkaholic1, aka Awesome Powdercoat) in today's (Friday, 6/11/2021) mail!

SOOOPER fast turnaround, since I only ordered on 6/02/2021!

Everything looks FANTASTIC! Flap assemblies black powder-coated, all new installation HW, and this set this set includes a NEW billows type thermostat that Clark fabricates.

Just need to see what I have to do to the EMPI fan shroud. Supposedly only need to drill few holes.

Would still appreciate any PROJECTED SPECIFICS that anyone might envision on the CYLINDER TIN MODIFICATIONS. If not, I will just go ahead and pre-order a set and do what I gotta' do!! :lol: :lol:

STAY WELL!! 8) 8)

Tom

jeffrey8164 Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:51 pm

texastomeh wrote: Guys,

I am interested in a set of these to use on my 1776 build instead of the set of sorta' beat-up SCATs used by the PO.

My build is using "new" MOFOCO 042 Cylinder Heads and EMPI Dual 40 HPMX Carbs with OFFSET MANIFOLDS.

Can you give me a "general feel" as to the fitting/grinding/trimming that will be required to make these work?

I realize that I will need the parts in hand to do the final tweaking, but would appreciate a "feel" for what is involved.

Cutting/grinding/fitting ain't really a problem since I had to do quite a bit to get the EMPI Fan Shroud to fit the AUTOLINEA BT case! :roll:

Thanx in advance for any help/comments/recommendations!!

STAY WELL!! 8) 8)

Tom

I’m using stock tin with CB Performance offset manifolds with no issue. However my 044 Super Mags were acquired in’94 and are round port not wedge or oval port.

Busstom Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm

I got two sets comin :)

Clatter Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:14 pm

evanfrucht wrote: It's easy enough for the engine builder to trim them. If you have trouble trimming them you probably shouldn't be building an engine to begin with :twisted: Plus the best way to do it is trim based on the specific manifolds being used.

Yeah no shit, right?

Being a longtime hoarder of VW crap,
can tell you for certain that OG top tins in halfway-decent shape are getting rare indeed!

Thanks for stepping up and making these.
just slapped a set of battered OG tins on my last motor,
And now chasing a rattle that might just be from the holes all wallered out..

WAY better than using tin screws with the big washers underneath! :P

mark tucker Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:25 pm

if I have to trim yours to fit my intakes thats a no sale. as I can trim the cheeper ones that Ive never had any issues with...once I make them ready to work. of coarse I would also have to make yours ready to work for me too. so... good luck. I do like thicker& stiffer.

Chickensoup Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:30 pm

mark tucker wrote: I do like thicker& stiffer.

thats what she said

mark tucker Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:07 am

I wouldnt be bragging on what she tells you..... :shock: #-o :popcorn: just messen with you kid!!!

Busstom Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:13 pm

Anyone get their tins yet? On 7/23 I was told "about a month out."

jeffrey8164 Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:10 pm

I’m still waiting as well. I ordered them back in June.
I pretty much forgot about them till now.
Thanks for the reminder.
Hopefully this person has some integrity.

Busstom Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks for chiming in, good to know.

Probably just supplier delays, hopefully the production units are as well-made as the prototypes they produced to secure the contract. :wink: