TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Up Fixing Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Larmo63 Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Busstom Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:42 pm

I like the juxtaposition of the later, curved windscreen on the '66 with the smaller, flat ones just behind it. If somebody wanted to see a comparison, just direct them to this photo.

pastellgreen Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:41 am

I don't like this change. And also the og owner of its 22k og miles black beauty didn't like it. I think this window enlargement has stolen very much character of the beetle. At these cars, the proportion of panel to window at the beetles side is nearly half to half, this doesn't meet the specifics of the golden ratio any longer.

sportin-wood Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:31 am

Larmo63 wrote:

I've always wondered what the differences on the roof racks were for beetles with ragtops, and on this side-by-side photo, I see a slight curvature on the rack on the ragtop car. Is that the only difference? Maybe height as well?

Larmo63 Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 am

Sportin-wood, the rack on my '62 rag is an original German ten slat rack. The rack on the '66 is a poor and un-aesthetic modern copy.

I agree Pastelgreen and Busstom, the earlier cars are more true to the original vision of the designer. Just one look at the shape of the wind wing shows this.

Larmo63 Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:22 pm

We are done working on the black '61 sedan, but a project '63 convertible is on the lift today, I'll get pictures up tomorrow. Meanwhile, my girlfriend claims this car is my real girlfriend. She may be right!

Larmo63 Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Here are a few shots of the '63 vert we are messing with...

my59 Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:44 pm

pastellgreen wrote: I don't like this change. And also the og owner of its 22k og miles black beauty didn't like it. I think this window enlargement has stolen very much character of the beetle. At these cars, the proportion of panel to window at the beetles side is nearly half to half, this doesn't meet the specifics of the golden ratio any longer.

Please provide the geometric proof to support the statement concerning the Golden ratio and VW stylistic revisions.

Larmo63 Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:21 am

Which wire am I looking to tap into on the taillight for my dedicated brake light?

pastellgreen Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:57 pm

my59 wrote: pastellgreen wrote: I don't like this change. And also the og owner of its 22k og miles black beauty didn't like it. I think this window enlargement has stolen very much character of the beetle. At these cars, the proportion of panel to window at the beetles side is nearly half to half, this doesn't meet the specifics of the golden ratio any longer.

Please provide the geometric proof to support the statement concerning the Golden ratio and VW stylistic revisions.

The calculation of the golden ratio is easy to google. The proportion is more nearly 1/3 to 2/3 than not half to half. The proportion at beetles with enlarged windows is more nearly half to half than at beetles before this enlargement. I don't take it exact, more as tendency.

61SNRF Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:41 pm

Larmo63 wrote: Which wire am I looking to tap into on the taillight for my dedicated brake light?

You want to tap into the Black/Red wire behind the left tarboard.
It's the one shown farthest to the left in the above diagram.

Notice the wire is Black/Red in the main harness coming from the front, then changes to Black in each tail light wire harness.

Larmo63 Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:15 pm

That is so helpful, thank you Bruce!!!

Larmo63 Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:26 pm

This car is just about done, it was going to be a flipper but he has fallen in love with it.

Larmo63 Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:08 pm

We bought this today....

pastellgreen Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:25 am

Larmo63 wrote: We bought this today....

You make me rady!
Is this original paint? It seems so to me. More pictures pleeeeeease! You know my passion for pearl whities, thank you!

Larmo63 Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

It has had one pretty decent paint job, back in the eighties. Surprisingly, it was an Earl Scheib paint job, the "premium package" done in the eighties. It has held up well for being so many years old.

The car has extensive paperwork, all the receipts since day one. All in all, a really nice car.

Converted to 12V, original black plates, and very complete.

More pictures soon.

Airstream65 Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Nice car, I have enjoyed reading your posts about the refresh.

Larmo63 Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:07 pm

More work today on three of our bugs, small stuff. We are updating the interior of the ragtop we just bought, we already have it sold and the guy who bought it had requests. New carpet for one.

We now have two '60 bugs, two '61s, a '62, a '63, and a '66 in and around the shop at various times.