TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Page: 1, 2  Next
Jacob-A-Smith Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:14 pm

I bought a 1960 beetle about 3 months ago and I have the frame close to fully restored but I want to keep the original paint on the body. I was wondering what I should use to preserve the original paint or if I should just repaint it. The only problem with keeping the original patina is that I need to replace the heater channels and the rear fenders so it may be hard to blend the paint.

I don’t know who cut the rear fenders like this but whoever did it committed a crime by doing it.

Dibaltic Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Nice patina on that car. Should be able to get the repairs blended. Maybe put out a wanted ad for original paint fenders that would match.

Here is a product for preserving.
https://sweetpatina.bigcartel.com/product/patina-sauce

Jacob-A-Smith Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks, the product says I should clean the body before I put it on but it’s pretty delicate right now. I don’t want to clean it with something too abrasive because the original paint might come off but i want to make sure the product will stick. Do you have any advice or experiences with it?

Dibaltic Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:25 am

My understanding is hand washing is all that you need to prep for it

sportin-wood Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:06 am

Jacob-A-Smith wrote:

That's pretty funny, but at the same time sad.

Looks like a nice project!

Dibaltic Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 pm

richparker Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm

That Sweet Patina looks great!

I did this technique on my ‘71 Westy and it turned out great. I’m gonna do the same with the ‘65 bug I’m building.

Blue Baron Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:57 pm

I'd find another pair of rear fenders, measure and cut the lower part to match, and weld them to the original fenders. I'd even leave the welds visible. That way you'll have repaired rather than replaced.

FritzCP Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:44 am

That will buff out beautifully. Griots Garage compound is a personal favorite of mine on OG paint cars. it works well by hand or by buffer - i like the 3" foam pads you can use with a cordless drill personally. for the deep dark brown rust, use some super fine 0000 steel wool with the compound to smooth out the paint/ primer. you can use 2000 grit wet sanding first to help get rid of the chalkiness first. better used on the lower 12" of the car (paints thicker)

I also replaced the heater channels and lower rear quarters on my 60, as well as the bottom 6" of the right front fender. Blue Baron is spot on, when he says to weld on section, leaves the welds, and just paint the patch to match. I had 2k urethane SS paint matched by the local paint jobber to the glove box, and it came out awesome. i did not "patina' any of that paint.

Sharp64 Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 am

I’m in the “paint it” camp. Trying to match 60 year old weathered paint will be difficult. I would replace the fenders and respray it personally.

ZENVWDRIVER Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Agree - beautiful patina - i'd paint those 2 fenders with old-school enamel and not buff it out - will dull-some, by it's self - but id want those 2 fenders to have an updated look - to have an honest-look - or else, if they matched - you'd be like every other poor samba-guy where everything has to match- just my 2 cents - z

kinda' like this...

Jacob-A-Smith Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:42 pm

Well if anyone was curious, this is how it’s ended up looking so far, it’s very close to being done and it’s turned out well. Thanks for everyone’s help on the patina but she was too far gone underneath it would’ve been too difficult.

LALA4Fire Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:54 am

very nice. that a way to bring it back to life! :vw:

Kennys72bug Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:43 am

Must say that is a really nice bug !!!! Can I send you mine and have you do the same thing ... :D :D :D

SLO-N-LO-69 Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:01 am

Aww you took the mudflap off.

Looks great anyways. ;)

scottyrocks Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:30 pm

Love the color.

iowegian Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 pm

I am a fan of keeping things "original", but in this case Justice was served. :D

vwuberalles Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:45 am

Bummer the patina was too far gone, but at least you tried! It looks great now, I love the color you went with.

hitest Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:28 pm

ANYBODY can paint a car. Fewer can preserve one.

I would conduct test areas on the worst parts of the missing paint (roof). Polishing and preserving with wax is preferred by many (myself included) rather than clear coating. But it is more laborious and takes maintenance. Clear coat if it will live outside- polish and wax if it lives indoors.

The red down low (bottom of doors, etc) will not be a problem to blend- it's below the widest part of the car and only you and the most astute would notice.

Emeraldlion Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:46 pm

Is that jade green? Always been a favorite color of mine.