TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: brake dash lite
Tom Marshall Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:09 am

just bought a 73 181 and i step on brake pedal break lite on dash comes on
why?

Semper_Dad Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:38 am

The indicator light coming on when brakes are applied indicates that one of the two circuits in the master cylinder may need attention.

A lot of the times it's simply one of the 3 connector switches on the master cylinder gone bad.

There's a PDF diagram in the archives that explains the setup

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/D...0Light.pdf

Wildthings Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:17 am

If your brakes are in need of adjustment the light may blink on as you first depress the pedal and then may or may not go out as the pedal is depressed further. If you have not done so, at a minimum inspect the linings thickness through the inspection ports in the backing plates, or better remove the drums and get a full visual.

Adjusting the brakes at the time of purchase is just part of the cost of owning these old vehicles. Afterward depending on where and how you drive, you will likely need to adjust the brakes every 3-10K miles.

mondshine Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 am

Useful information here, thanks to Cap'n. Spalding.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/D...0Light.pdf

KAmes Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

I didn't put the warning light in when I rewired the car. I suppose probably not an acceptable solution. (see no evil :wink:)

Tom Marshall Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 am

thanks ...never had a vw with this lite...lol... i'll be putting on my lift and check things out
Thanks again...

Tom Marshall Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 am

thanks ...never had a vw with this lite...lol... i'll be putting on my lift and check things out
Thanks again...

74 Thing Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:42 am

Yes, check the 2 brake light switches on the master cylinder. One may have gone bad or the wiring frayed etc. Pull one plug off its switch at a time and see if the light goes out to isolate each one.