TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA
Shoyrtt Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:37 pm

Growing up in Southern California, I remember there were several VW yards around to get parts from when I got my first bug in 1983. I ran across this set of photos from "Richard Guillis" entitled "Automobiles that I have known" that appear to be family photos from Southern California dating back to the 50s. This shorty deluxe picture is dated 1967 and may have been used to promote the family business in El Monte.

Here is a link to the photos (lots of bugs, buses, rails, a notch and a Thing along with other cars): https://pbase.com/asmywhim/automobiles&page=all

Does anyone remember this yard in El Monte?

Shoyrtt Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Or this photo is entitled "Roscoe Auto Salvage" in Ventura. No date on it:

campingbox Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:46 pm

Shoyrtt wrote: Or this photo is entitled "Roscoe Auto Salvage" in Ventura. No date on it:

I went there in the 90ies and they still had that doublecab. It had the same paint job but looked less fresh.

NUTSFORBUSES Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:22 am

YES!!!!!
I worked in S ElMonte when machine shops were everywhere, all gone now.

Up in Irwindale there was also another German salvage
There was also a yard w only Model T's, all Porsche, or the dealership
Sticks Unlimited<old corvettes dirt cheap. I think it may survived, driveshaft specialties where I had my driveshaft made up for my V8 240Z.
Azusa was spotted w VW rebuilders where you could get a turnkey rebuild for $400 exchanged.

NAES Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 pm

I think German Auto Salvage was on Rosemead and close to Rush St if I remember correctly.

Russ' Recycling in Irwindale was my go-to spot BITD.

Also Pick-A-Part on Peck and Arrow Highway always had ACVW's in there.

Too bad I was so broke back then. I couldn't afford hardly any of it!!!

Old Paint Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:06 pm

I remember Russ' Recycling. All those Split buses that were scrapped. Would fetch top dollar. Russ was great, So was Dave who worked there on Saturdays. Russ sold the place then it went downhill fast. I remember going in there wanting a upper air vent access plate. The new guy said $40. I rolled my eyes. Every single bus had one!!!! I stopped going there after that.

tasb Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:55 pm

Shoyrtt wrote: Or this photo is entitled "Roscoe Auto Salvage" in Ventura. No date on it:

My guess late 1970's- mid eighties.

i lived in Camarillo for two years. I parked my 1965 hardtop Deluxe in that very spot on several occasions. :( Still have the Bus though 8)

There used to be a VW only junkyard in downtown Upland, I think it was. Went in there once looking for thermostat parts and the "expert" said that "aircooled VW's never had thermostats" :roll:

Then there was <Larry's Old Volks Home in San Bernardino...

That's Larry sitting on the tailgate. Second from left Jim Bradshaw(I think?), Larry's driver.