TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 65 sunroof project Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
bluesman Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:44 am

Ive had this 65 steel sunroof car for a long time. Thought I'd start a thread to document some of the metal work, that's been happening.

Found a nice radio hole, from another car, so I could put my delete plate in.[

Marked and cut, so I can get in to some good, straight metal.

Found a couple bolts, close to the size of the wiper/headlight switch diameter. snugged them up. then , I scribed a line on the bottom of the new piece, so I had something constant. Then whittled the new piece down to fit.

Some redneck indexing with a sharpie

Welder up! A little at a time.

We're in, and the trim lines up pretty nice..
The hacked dash has always been sore spot. Much better now. I was lucky the replacement dash piece, had the holes for the switches, so I could get it lined up right, for the trim. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Maybe this could help someone down the road..

matthew henricks Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:57 am

Nice. Is that bare metal or silver paint? Has a mean stance...

bluesman Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:27 pm

That is bare metal...

viiking Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Great job! I

What did you do on the trunk side? Did you leave it as is, or did you metal finish as well?

I have to do this too but am baulking at doing it because Im not sure how Im going to grind the welds on the trunk side.

bluesman Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Thank you!!

Its as is for now. Ill probably run a mini disc over it. Maybe put a little filler. I have the wiring cover that will enclose it also. Be difficult to see.

Jennepher Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:11 pm

bluesman wrote:

Maybe it's this particular picture, but your dog looks exactly like our dog, Lucy. She's is a corgi-border collie mix, what's yours?

bluesman Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:09 am

Shes a border collie/lab. A Borador. 😂

bluesman Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:43 am

I have a NOS German front apron. Car isn't nice enough to waste it on. So , I picked up a Wolfsburg West piece. This one has the correct teardrop holes (both sides) for the trunk release, and the correct overider holes.

Had to add on to the floor of the spare tire well.

Both sides of the spare tire area needed replaced.

Mock up, and cut.

Didnt care for the bumper brackets, already on the wolfsburg panel. Had to go. Ordered one from CIP1. looks like an original.

First time since I've owned the car, that everything has been bolted properly. Bumpers, brackets, over riders..

Chickensoup Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:53 pm

holy moly you did awesome welding the front clip sir!

bluesman Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Thank you ... Its not quite a full clip replacement. Probably should've replaced the whole thing. Here's a few more pics

Clean shop! Small...but I get a lot of work done in this little 20x20

Apron is still loose, so I'm trying to take care of any straightening, sanding

bluesman Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 am

For this part, I'll just say....I did the best with what I had. I searched high and low for a German 1/4 panel, with no luck.... Or, the shipping was more than the person wanted for the piece.

Found this at a swap meet years ago. $25 I think.. Have no idea who made it. It's for a 70's car.

bluesman Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:06 am

Must have fit and re-fit the piece 500 times.

Wheel arch isnt quite right, door gap was more important to me.

matthew henricks Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 am

Nice work on that quarter panel. Clean.

bluesman Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:54 am

matthew henricks wrote: Nice work on that quarter panel. Clean.

Thank you!

bluesman Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:58 am

It has to get worse before it gets better.

Donor

Need a better pic of the final product

sportin-wood Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Your metal work is impressive! Makes me wish I had taken up welding in high school.

bluesman Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:31 am

sportin-wood wrote: Your metal work is impressive! Makes me wish I had taken up welding in high school.

Thank you! Appreciate it.. I wish I had taken some classes myself. I'm self taught. Some times it shows. :oops: :D

I've learned a lot from these forums. There's some nice work being done out there.

keegs Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:44 am

bluesman wrote: Ive had this 65 steel sunroof car for a long time. Thought I'd start a thread to document some of the metal work, that's been happening.

Thanks Bluesman ...not sure how you welded this... did you lap or butt ?? ... Did you weld both sides? Really nice job ..TIA

bluesman Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:23 am

keegs wrote: bluesman wrote: Ive had this 65 steel sunroof car for a long time. Thought I'd start a thread to document some of the metal work, that's been happening.

Thanks Bluesman ...not sure how you welded this... did you lap or butt ?? ... Did you weld both sides? Really nice job ..TIA

It is butt welded, only one side. Then I filed the welds by hand. Then finish with an 80 grit mini discs.

keegs Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:10 am

[quote="bluesman"] keegs wrote: bluesman wrote: Ive had this 65 steel sunroof car for a long time. Thought I'd start a thread to document some of the metal work, that's been happening.

It is butt welded, only one side. Then I filed the welds by hand. Then finish with an 80 grit mini discs.

It's a very tight seam... did you cut and butt with a dremel? Newbe trying to find his way :)