TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Battery choices -- 1967 Type I (buggy)
Thing #6 Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 am

I just brought home a buggy built on a 1967 Bug.

It needs a battery.

It strikes me that the engine on this has less displacement than my Goldwing, which uses a small AGM battery.

Would this be a suitable battery type for the buggy? Or do I need an "automotive" battery?

Q-Dog Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:56 am

I've been using an AGM for a couple of years now with no issues.

The original VW battery is a Group 42 which is just about the shortest automotive battery made. Here is the AGM I am using in my buggy, next to a group 42 battery.

Cusser Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 am

6 months or so ago I put a Walmart 26R battery into my 1970 VW, was less than half the cost of Group 42. I haven't passengers in the back of the 1970 since the early 1990s at least, and I have a sheet of plastic and a wood board to isolate its terminals from the seat springs.

Thing #6 Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:07 am

This is the one that fits my Goldwing, do you think that would do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-YTX24HL-...amp;sr=8-4

EVfun Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:49 am

You should be able to use any 12 volt battery with 300 or more cold cranking amps (300CCA.) In my buggy there is a group size U1 battery. The battery you linked to is about the same size and cranking amp rating, and about the same price. It should work fine.

Thing #6 Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:10 am

Was 300 the original rating?

The big advantage of the battery I was looking at is that it's the same as in my Goldwing, in case I need to swap them. I could even put two in parallel.

EVfun Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Thing #6 wrote: Was 300 the original rating?

The big advantage of the battery I was looking at is that it's the same as in my Goldwing, in case I need to swap them. I could even put two in parallel.
Group 42 is the original size but I couldn't find an original CCA rating from VW. That group size is suppose do have a CCA rating of at least 210 amps.

mukluk Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:58 pm

The main issue I see is the 21 Amp hour rating of the Goldwing battery versus the VW spec in the owner's manual showing a 36 Ah battery. The motorcycle battery has less than 60% the capacity of stock.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bug67models/page49.jpg

EVfun Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Cranking amps will tell you how much power is available to start the car. Amp hour capacity will tell you how long you can run the lights or radio when the car is off.

Danwvw Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:10 pm

300cca will work but I'd rather see it rated at least 700cca!

Thing #6 Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:29 pm

I just discovered that this is a 1600 engine (1971), so might need more battery than I had thought. It's a whole 100cc bigger than the engine on my Goldwing!

mukluk Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:51 pm

EVfun wrote: Cranking amps will tell you how much power is available to start the car. Amp hour capacity will tell you how long you can run the lights or radio when the car is off.
Correct. The point I was making is that the motorcycle battery has less capacity than the factory specified. :wink:

On a side note -- while cranking amps and Amp hour capacity aren't directly related, generally speaking a battery with higher CCA rating will also have a higher Ah rating (and vice versa). With that in mind, it's possible the stock battery had a higher CCA rating than the proposed motorcycle battery. Of additional consideration is a battery's cranking amps and capacity degrades over time, so it's best to have one with a higher than necessary rating to allow for useful output as it ages.

Incidentally, the standard 12v VW starter draws up to just shy of 300 Amps at max load. Personally I'd want a battery with at least 450 CCA.

Zundfolge1432 Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:29 am

Check this out https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747215&highlight=

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 am

Thing #6 wrote: Was 300 the original rating?

I have a U1R in my Dune Buggy mainly for its size.. but... I have the same mentality.. Its the same battery as my my riding lawnmower and antique garden tractor .. . So when the lawn mower battery gets weak.. the dune buggy gets a new battery and the lawn mower or tractor gets the older one..
This year it was the other way around....the dune buggy battery failed :lol:

evanfrucht Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Thing #6 wrote: I just brought home a buggy built on a 1967 Bug.

It needs a battery.

It strikes me that the engine on this has less displacement than my Goldwing, which uses a small AGM battery.

Would this be a suitable battery type for the buggy? Or do I need an "automotive" battery?

A smaller AGM would work great. I have a Deka EXT-30L battery. It was cheaper than a stock replacement and is supposed to last longer, also weighs less. It starts up my high compression 2180 with a Hi-torque starter easily and I don't keep it on any battery tender or anything like that. I just drive it whenever I want. I never let it sit for more than a week at most without taking a drive tho. I've never had to charge the battery and I also run an OG generator.

Meiang Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:48 pm

I recently bought a new battery for my 1968 VW 1500 Beetle. The only battery available did not fit the insulated top metal cover properly. The terminals were too tall and did not allow the top to fit such that it was supported around the edge of the battery - there should be a gap between the terminals and the top. It seems that in Australia you cannot get a properly sized battery any more to fit this car any more.

Given that the battery is held down by a metal strap running over the metal cover top, some modification is required.

Danwvw Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Optima Red Top Battery, Group Size 34/78, 800 CCA

Meiang Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:24 am

"Optima Red Top Battery, Group Size 34/78, 800 CCA"

It will not fit without modification.