TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Colors, colors, colors
Meetzorp Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:52 pm

I've owned my 1959 Type 1 since 1993 - it's literally my first car. It was a dad-n-daughter project that kept my head straight during my last two years of high school. And beyond. It's been on and off the back burner more times than the Star Wars franchise has been revived. And it's kind of on a low simmer at the moment, as I have a slightly more practical, family-friendly project car in the works - a 1981 Mercedes 300TD, which is a seven seat station wagon.

Anyway, here's the round-about story, and you can look at the pictures and say your piece.

I had some serious rust remediation done on this car about ten years ago, then had it repainted to Turkis, which was not a color available in 1959, though I believe it debuted in '61. But the car originally was Mignonette Green, which I didn't love back in the day, and I didn't love nine years ago, but which has grown on me because of my boyfriend's Mercedes240D, which is a color that Mercedes deemed "Moss Green" and which is almost identical to Mignonette Green. It's a similar, weird, olive/yallery/bread-mouldy, goose-poop green that is simultaneously unattractive yet simply CORRECT for a car so defiantly stodgy as either the W123 or the Type 1.

I'm considering Moss for the Benz Wagon, which I'm doing rust repair on right now. I'm going to spray that one myself, so I figure once I have my hand in with the spray gun a bit, I might go on ahead and respray the VW, since I haven't put the VW back together yet anyway. All I'd be in for was whatever the cost of paint is.

I feel like the Turkis is a bit...gaudy, and it doesn't jive with the OG two-tone green-and-ivory door cards, and I love those door cards and seat covers so. They're somehow elegant and funky at the same time. I don't know what to do about the interior if I retain the Turkis. I'd considered that coral red-and-ivory for a really violent contrast, but on the other hand, it's hard to justify going that silly. IDK.

Opinions. I'm happy to hear them,

In 1995

In 2017

finster Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 am

reading your post, it sounds like you have the answer. mignonette is a subtle, tastefull and unusual colour, perfect for a classic beetle. the interior will look great with the original two-tone and also be a calm place. the vw colourists knew their stuff.
go mignonette...but you don't need me to tell you. :)

Lingwendil Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:10 am

Turkis is a LOUD color, great for a perfect car with lots of money put into it :D I thinkit's almost a bit much unless it's the original color to your car.

Mignonette Green is a perfect color when in good condition, very classic and understated.

I think if you were to go for something other than that you could go red/white interior with L469 Anthracite grey if that's your thing. My absolute favorite stock VW color scheme of all time-

Meetzorp Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:02 am

I think y'all are right. Mignonette is the correct answer. It's going to be a bit ridiculous around my house, with two grey-olive vintage Benzes and a grey-olive vintage Volkswagen, but I guess it shows we like what we like in the Strawberry Hill Halfway House For Decrepit German Cars That Might Go All The Way.

iowegian Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:00 am

I'd stay with Turkis.
I don't particularly like the color, but the word is fun to say.

Rome Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:40 am

Here's a color that's slightly "brighter" than Mignonette, and only one year off- L346 Mango green, as per Stock Steve's '60. Mango would also go well with your interior door panels.

Quote: I'd stay with Turkis.
I don't particularly like the color, but the word is fun to say.
The correct German spelling would have the umlaut above the u. The word would sound like "ter KEESS" if you heard it in German.

mukluk Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:42 pm

I really like both Mango and Turquoise (not sure why so many insist on using the German word for the latter but not other colours), although Mignonette really is good looking as well plus it's rather uncommon. Personally I'd vote for Mignonette here.

Something I have noticed is it can be difficult to find a good picture of Mignonette, with most being either too dark a shade or too much green. Below is a good example of how it should look.

hitest Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm

In my opinion- Turkis is played out even among turkis cars (mine included)- let alone those repainted. It was available on nearly everything. I like the color, but feel it belongs on 61-63 cars.

Mignonette is less seen and would look great with a red interior- they're natural compliments.

steven wardlaw Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:01 am

Turkis or Turquoise will never be played out as long as people at car shows tell me that they just lover the color. I love so many of the VW color combinations that were used on the full line of cars they built. I never walk past a Sealing wax red bus or a coral red orange beetle. No matter what color you chose you can't go wrong. I've attached pictures of My 1962 non restored car.

67conv Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:38 am

steven wardlaw wrote: I've attached pictures of My !962 non restored car.

Absolutely gorgeous VW, and it just looks so "right" in Turkis!

Not to change the topic, but why would you install '66 - '67 only (10 hole) beauty rings on your '62 rims if you're keeping it a stock looker? It looks like you have the correct rim colors under there. And...WOW! that's quite a "non restored" engine you've got in there! :shock: Damn..I'm jealous!

ZENVWDRIVER Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:21 am

why do many call turquoise, "turkis"?

finster Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:42 pm

türkis is the german for turquoise

not sure why people stick to the german for this colour and not others...I still say to the op - mignonette

58euro Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:48 pm

ZENVWDRIVER wrote: why do many call turquoise, "turkis"?

mukluk Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:01 pm

58euro wrote: ZENVWDRIVER wrote: why do many call turquoise, "turkis"?

Makes sense that Turquoise would be written in German there since almost the entire label is in German. :wink:

I share the confusion why so many insist on using the German word for the colour turquoise; you don't often see people talking about their car being Blau, Grun, Weisse, Rot, Braun, Silber, Schwarz, Grau...

67conv Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:27 pm

Maybe it's just because it's easier to spell...! :roll:

mukluk Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Maybe so. :-k :lol:

Larmo63 Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:42 pm

I vote for Mignonette Green.

You never showed your interior so we could see what it looks like?

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Larmo63 wrote: I vote for Mignonette Green.

X1000!!! Mignonette Green is such a remarkably awesome and correct color for 1959, not to mention it is exclusive to 1959! A one-year-only color!!