TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1966 Type 1 Engine Code
BartlettMotors Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:43 am

I have a 1966 beetle and it has an engine number of 759391 and that is it. There are no letters ahead of the numbers and no other markings. The side of the case does have vw part numbers on it ( 113101101) The engine numbers are good and straight so I assumed it is not a self stamped aftermarket case? Any ideas as to what this may be? Thank you.

Chickensoup Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am

Looks like a 40hp engine stamp. A 1966 case would have F.... then the numbers.

Pre 1300 engines didnt have a letter.

mukluk Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:53 am

A 40hp engine should have a serial with seven digits, not just six.

Post up a clear picture of the engine serial. The style and manner of the stampings can possibly give some clues.

BartlettMotors Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:56 pm

I just put a picture of the stamping in the gallery. Everything indicates it is a 1200 but I cannot find through any source that type of 6 digit coding.

viiking Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Iíll help out here.

I assume it IS an aftermarket case that has purposely been stamped with a six digit number so to not compromise a correct 7 digit VW numbering system.

KTPhil Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:23 pm

The alignment and font style do not look original to me.

Cusser Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Can it be determined whether 40hp or 1966 F engine from the intake manifold shape? Someone has a photo of three types of intake manifold ends for single port engines which could possibly help.

An engine with an engine case appropriate for 1300cc, 1500cc, or 1600cc would be preferable !

BartlettMotors Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:07 pm

Thank you. Since the side of the block is embossed with a vw part number and has the vw logo, do you think it was a replacement right from VW? I have owned this car for almost 36 years and it was purchased from a new VW dealer locally off their showroom. The had restored it and were displaying it. That was around 1986. Thank you again to all who have helped.

sjbartnik Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:11 pm

BartlettMotors wrote: Thank you. Since the side of the block is embossed with a vw part number and has the vw logo, do you think it was a replacement right from VW? I have owned this car for almost 36 years and it was purchased from a new VW dealer locally off their showroom. The had restored it and were displaying it. That was around 1986. Thank you again to all who have helped.

Between 1966 and 1986 it coulda had 3 or 4 different engines in it :D

The case having the VW logo doesn't really tell you anything.

If it was a VW factory exchange / rebuild engine, it likely would have the VW exchange logo stamped next to the engine number.

Some rebuilders stamped their own number on there. Those numbers are not the OG VW stamping, so that case could have come as a replacement part with no stamping and then the engine was built in that case. Then whoever built it stamped their number on it. Who knows what the number is based on.

KTPhil Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm

Courtesy of glutamodo.

(note: there seem to be problems with some images not showing up, so I am including the image link (maybe invisible) and the url you can copy/paste.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/VW06/IntakeManifoldDifferencesSP.jpg

http://members.trainorders.com/android/VW10/IntakePortDifferences40vsSPvsDP.jpg

http://members.trainorders.com/android/VW10/IntakePortDifferences40vsSPvsDP2.jpg

Cusser Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm

KTPhil wrote: Courtesy of glutamodo.

That's them !!! That should get the original poster started.

Thanks Glutamodo and KTPhil !