TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Frame choices and suspension choices
Mike40 Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:21 am

Well I have just about finished re-building my current rail which will go up for sale fairly soon. I have decided I want a diffrent one though with more power and better suspension, so I have a few questions:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a A-arm front end and a VW front end?

Are coil over shocks really better?

Any tricks to achieve more travel without spending huge money??

Thanks in advance guys!

HamburgerBrad Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:24 am

with coil overs, you are not limited by internal springs in the torsion housing

a-arms are capable of much more travel than the standard torsion arm front end, one disadvantage is less legroom up front.

HomespunKustom Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:25 pm

yes, this is my kind of thread. An a-arm front end will provide the maximum amount of wheel travel in comparison to the stock vw beam depending on the location of the pivot mount for the arm and the shock location and length. With your arms mounted in the center of the buggy and a decent gap between the shock mounts, you could have huge wheel travel possibilities. Coil over shocks are totally kick ass and a huge asset to off-roading, etc. in that they can all be custom built for the specs of the vehicle. heavy trucks or light weight buggies all use different valving and/or coil rate to adjust rebound. to increase travel rather cheaply, lift the upper shock mount to a higher position if possible and run a longer shock. as long as your suspension won't bind or cause drivetrain issues, you will see an increase in overall wheel travel.