TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Electric vehicles are bad Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 183, 184, 185  Next
Q-Dog Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:52 pm

Abscate wrote: They will be flatbed off the road like ICE. The parrots will bleat that EV will be too heavy to flatbed because they be stupid
Some EVs can charge a dead EV using a bi-directional charge cord ... just hook the two vehicles together with the 2-way charge cable to share some electrons.

Also, there are some tests where the dead EV is flat-towed in regen mode to put some charge into the battery. It should not be any different than coasting down a long hill.

steve244 Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:47 am

The cars go into limp mode several miles before stopping. Even if you were a big enough idiot to get to that stage you should still be able to make it to the next 110V outlet to recharge enough to get to the next level 2 or 3 charger.

110V at 1.2kW gives you 4 mile of range per hour of charging.

oprn Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:22 pm

steve244 wrote: 110V at 1.2kW gives you 4 mile of range per hour of charging.
Unless it happens in the winter. Then it will keep the batteries from freezing while you find a car hauler to take it home.

steve244 Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:36 am

no, that's overnight. if you've been driving to the point of depleting the batteries, they're at operating temperature.

But I understand your concern.

Abscate Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:37 am

Quote: Even if you were a big enough idiot to get to that stage you should still be able to make it to the next 110V outlet to recharge enough to get to the next level 2 or 3 charger.

I think a lot of naysayers who havenít driven a modern EV get how integrated they are, for better or for worse. You have to be so unaware to run out of juice you shouldnít be driving if thatís your level of SA.

Itís killing me that I run my daughter 1.2 miles to the hospital for her shift rather than pay for an overpriced parking permit in my ICE but spending 35k for that makes no sense. Bonding time is good. Maybe I can find a used smug-mobile from some wanker in Atlanta

madmike Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:47 am

I'm heading to Frankenmuth VW fest in 20 min. they have a VW ID Buzz, the new Electric bus :lol:

oprn Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:15 am

Abscate wrote: Itís killing me that I run my daughter 1.2 miles to the hospital for her shift rather than pay for an overpriced parking permit
That's an easy walking distance! Or get her a $50 used bike. Good Lord kids these days are pampered!

We have a Physical Education teacher here in our community that lives 1 city block from the school and HAS to drive her pickup there every day! The irony in that is HUGE! The example set by her for the children is disgusting!

Growing up my Dad walked the 1.5 miles to work in the winter and biked it in the summer. It was rare for him to take the car. He left it at home for Mom to get groceries or in case there was an emergency with one of us kids.

People think they will bee seen as heroes for buying an EV to compensate for their sedentary lifestyle!

P.S. If your daughter is physically handicapped please ignore this!

steve244 Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:24 am

smug lite

Xevin Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:25 am

oprn wrote: Abscate wrote: Itís killing me that I run my daughter 1.2 miles to the hospital for her shift rather than pay for an overpriced parking permit
That's an easy walking distance! Or get her a $50 used bike. Good Lord kids these days are pampered!

We have a Physical Education teacher here in our community that lives 1 city block from the school and HAS to drive her pickup there every day! The irony in that is HUGE! The example set by her for the children is disgusting!

Growing up my Dad walked the 1.5 miles to work in the winter and biked it in the summer. It was rare for him to take the car. He left it at home for Mom to get groceries or in case there was an emergency with one of us kids.

People think they will bee seen as heroes for buying an EV to compensate for their sedentary lifestyle!

P.S. If your daughter is physically handicapped please ignore this!

Merv, I do agree that in some cases you are correct. Maybe Abscate just likes hanging out with his daughter. I wish I still had parents I could hang out with. In my case being manager of a big box retailer. Itís not safe for me to walk home from work late at night with keys to the building with a lot of cash and merchandise. My former company required one person in their car until the key holder locked the front door and was able to leave. So if I did get held up, the look out could call the police. I was held help in Sacramento years ago and itís not fun. I wouldnít want to walk to work/bike sometimes because of weather. Iíd be dripping sweat by the time I got to work. 90* with high humidity Iíd be disgusting. I donít have a locker room or privacy at the store to change outfits. I can come up with more reasons why walking 1.5
to work is not a good idea for some folks. Not everyone is being pampered and lazy.

Xevin Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:51 am

steve244 wrote: smug lite

That could be great as a commuter for my new job location, now that Iím with a different company. I need to look into this. Thanks for the link Steve.

oprn Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:15 pm

Xevin wrote: I do agree that in some cases you are correct. Maybe Abscate just likes hanging out with his daughter.
Oh I get that. I have 3 daughters and enjoy their visits very much. I wonder though... in our family meal time was an important "together time". I suspect very few families eat together anymore and if they do are devices the focus? Now that our kids are gone there is no such thing in my world as too much "together time"!

I wish I could turn back the clock and devote less time to work and more to family.

Xevin Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:38 pm

oprn wrote: Xevin wrote: I do agree that in some cases you are correct. Maybe Abscate just likes hanging out with his daughter.
Oh I get that. I have 3 daughters and enjoy their visits very much. I wonder though... in our family meal time was an important "together time". I suspect very few families eat together anymore and if they do are devices the focus? Now that our kids are gone there is no such thing in my world as too much "together time"!

I wish I could turn back the clock and devote less time to work and more to family.



:wink: :wink:

Jon Schmid Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:16 pm

[/quote] I wish I could turn back the clock and devote less time to work and more to family.[/quote]
I learned this the hard way from my dad. First, I only had 2 kids instead of 4. Second, while my wife and I worked hard to afford a house in a "decent" part of SoCal (not Beverly Hills, but not the stinking desert either) I made it a priority to go on my kids' field trips, be at all their Little League type sporting events, Parent/Teacher nights, etc. I've never regretted one minute doing this. As long as there's a roof over your head and food in the pantry, and of course you have your health, you're good to go IMHO.

oprn Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:41 am

Exactly! Far too much emphasis put on gaining material things in our culture. In the end we loose it all anyway. Sitting in a wheelchair in a care home looking out the window of life it's not the dollars you made and spent that will be on your mind! It's the interactions with people, especially family that will be precious.

It won't even matter if your car was powered by dinosaur pee or coal!

finster Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:07 am

here's an alternative future - don't make loads of drivers redundant with autonomous vehicles just disguise the driver and pretend we did it. win - win!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65857348

finster Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:53 am

steve244 wrote: smug lite

...think smugger :lol:

NachoCar Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:00 pm

LOL.

You guys see Toyota is developing an EV with a faux manual transmission complete with sound effects?

Didn't have time to read whole article in Wall Street Journal, but that's a new low in my book.

I'm a manual snob but that seems like sacrilege to me.

NachoCar Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:02 pm

Forgot faux gear shifts :roll:

Bonesberg55 Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:31 pm

NachoCar wrote: LOL.

You guys see Toyota is developing an EV with a faux manual transmission complete with sound effects?

Didn't have time to read whole article in Wall Street Journal, but that's a new low in my book.

I'm a manual snob but that seems like sacrilege to me.

Is it available in a faux finish?

busdaddy Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:38 pm

Faux smug is even worse than smug lite! :shock:



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group