TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First start 10 years
Bikechunk Thu May 19, 2022 7:28 pm

Hello, I’m starting my Subaru EJ25 2002 Vanagon and I’m wondering if there’s anything I need to know. I haven’t started it in 10 years. The van is in great condition and just wondering things I should keep in mind. Thanks!

1985 sunroof

Bikechunk Thu May 19, 2022 7:33 pm

The gas is 4 years old. Should I drop and clean the tank? Also would there be wiring issues because of the year. I am aware of the wiring issues that the 85 and indeed had.

Howesight Thu May 19, 2022 7:39 pm

The single biggest problem starting vehicles immobilized and not run for long periods is bad gasoline. Gasoline decays over time and forms varnishes that are a BIG PROBLEM for engines. The varnish compounds can clog or ruin the fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, etc. The varnish gets sprayed by the injectors on the intake valve stems and can cause them to lock up in the valve guides.

So, before attempting to start the engine, remove all the gasoline and remove the tank to clean out all the sludge and varnish compounds that is guaranteed to have formed in the tank. When you have done that, (a big job if done right) you can mix up 94 octane gasoline, say 1 or 2 gallons, together with a gallon of Toluene (from Home Depot) for a very effective way of ridding the fuel lines, injectors, FPR, etc of the sludged gasoline. Toluene is a normal (but expensive) fraction of gasoline, so it won't harm any part of the fuel system. Don't breathe the toluene fumes unless you wear a VOC-rated respirator.

If you encounter any running problems after doing the above, it may be wise to send your injectors out for ultra-sonic cleaning.

After gas lines, of course, there are a myriad of other maintenance items to consider, but I was concerned that you might start the engine first and gum it up with old gas.

The Myriad Other Items:

1. Replace tires;
2. Replace fuel lines;
3. Change oil and filter;
4. Change accessory belt(s);
5. Change brake fluid;
6. Change coolant.

IdahoDoug Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 am

Agree on fuel, though 4 years is tolerable and won't lead to too much varnish. Still trying to figure out why you'd put fuel in a vehicle you haven't started in 6 years, not start it (?), then let it sit for 4 more years? Hmmm.

The worst fuel will be in the fuel lines and you don't want to push this through the injectors (or the valve stems, which on WBX will sieze them). So disconnect the fuel line to the injectors, turn on the key and pump the lines into a container to toss or use as a fire starter in a burn barrel, etc. Then replace the fuel filter.

First, put a max dose of Seafoam fuel conditioner in the fuel tank to give the fuel back some important properties it is low on after sitting 4 years, and deal with condensation. Wiggle the van back and forth to mix it. Then pump lines clear as above and start it. I left a car back home for 7 years and it started and ran normally. Drove to the fuel station, filled it and then off we went.

Put the Seafoam in the next few tanks as well as insurance to slowly dissolve any minor varnish.