TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 69 bay driver side headlight, and flashers out.
outcaststudios Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:09 am

drivers side headlight is out ,front turn signals arent working but rear are, bulb tests fine , not reading any power at the three prong socket. fuses all seem to be in tact. could that relay thats hanging upside down be the culprit? where should i start? how to test?
thanks.

busdaddy Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:32 am

outcaststudios wrote: fuses all seem to be in tact.
Just looking at them won't do, remove each one and spiff up the tabs that hold them with a dremel wire wheel or something, the relay doesn't split power, if one light works the issue is downstream.

SGKent Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 am

what Mark said

burned out bulb, fuse or ground wire on the headlight. Flashers can be the same or also the hazard switch coming apart. Since you say the meter reads no voltage I would expect it to be the fuse if you were reading to chassis ground. The connectors are crimped so there could be corrosion in them but you would have seen that I think.

outcaststudios Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:32 am

i will report thanks!

outcaststudios Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:40 pm

after soldering the brown wires back in their correct places, the dip switch still does not function, i cleaned the two contact points and verified that the two surfaces met cleanly before reinstalling. must be a bad relay their. i then retested the headlight to make sure it was functioning and realized that earlier when i tested it, i had only tested the high beam, and sure enough the low beam was blown out!lol! got a new one in and the beams work now. then when i went to check the two bulbs for my front turn signals that still do not work, water dumped out of passenger side lens ( deer hit the front of it back in 1997 and i replaced it with a NOS lens, but the gasket looks like its turned hard finally) i ordered a randon 12v multi purpose relay from teh NAPA...any way to test if the relay is the issue or if the grounds are? also best way to clean and address the grounds for the trun signals? also no high beam when i pull the lever back, also no blue indicator on dash for high beams either...

mikedjames Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 pm

Classically, the headlamp relay fills up with water and provides many interesting symptoms.

With fuses, the original fuses have ceramic bodies. When the fuse metal heats up they remain at their original dimensions.

Modern aftermarket fuses have plastic bodies. Before a fuse blows the fuse metal gets hot enough to melt the plastic. Then the clamping spring in the fuse box shortens the fuse until it just barely makes contact .

It is a good idea to check when a fuse is blown to see if it has a ceramic body, and if it does, to replace the blown fusible wire strip with the fusible wire from a plastic fuse. It will be more reliable in the future.